40mm Nokton Redesign

It appears that there has been a redesign of the Nokton 40mm f1.4

lenses. If you look at the rear compared to Huw Finney's relube

article http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Ai8p

you will see that there is no longer 3 black screws on the cam. This

is part of a redesign that seems to address the stiff focus of the

earlier lenses and loosening of the front part of the lens. Thought

some may have been interested. Take care<div>00Blw9-22748984.JPG.98638e086157f7ddc8bbf5ebf2cf9466.JPG</div>

Thanks, Joel. It's very impressive that Cosina would respond so quickly to this issue . . . although obviously not so impressive that the problem would be there in the first place.

Do I understand you to be saying that in using this lens, focus is smooth & not stiff?

Thanks,

Bill

No serial numbers no, its not been mentioned to my knowledge by the factory, its was just something I noticed as soon the second lens arrived. Its easy to tell though, take of thr rear cap and if you notice 3 black screws on the cam its the early type. If it has no screws on the cam its the new type. This is not to suggest that the first type is unusuable. I would think they can be tightened but not overly tight like they left the factory as Huw has already shown possible. Im sure the optics havent changed at all and the long term reliability of either lens has yet to be determined, just a couple of glitches with the first batch.

> Do I understand you to be saying that in using this lens, focus is

> smooth & not stiff?

Bill

Stiff focus rings can be found on some CV lenses from time to time. I think it does mainly not depend on the type of lens, but on factory manufacturing tolerances. I had a 2.5/35 Pancake II (from the auction site), which was stiff and focused over infinity. I resold it. Others reported the same problem with that lens, as well as others had no issue with it. OTOH I have absolutely no problems with my CV 4.5/15, 3.5/28 and 1.7/35 which all focus smoothly.

But this does not mean the 1.4/40 Nokton has not been redesigned by Cosina.

Didier

Alan, My main focus was actually a comparison with the 40mm Summicron and by the time I started comparing several of he 40mm lenses together was when the Nokton developed play in it and took a couple of months for its replacement. So I am going to start again to ensure consistancy with the group test. Keep in mind that the Nokton at 2.8 is 2 stops in compared to being wide open with the Sonnar so you can kind of guess how the first batch of tests went.