10D vs 1DSmkII

david_french3

This may seem like an idiot question, but I have a genuine reason for asking.

I have a 10D which I've been using for some time. I mainly use it for printing up to A4

size. I don't get pixellation at this resolution, but I do find a lack of sharpness when

messing around with images which is related to the sensor resolution (not the lens optics

- I'm now using decent lenses, and can tell the difference between the two phenomena).

I'm wondering whether I can persuade myself to splash out on a 1DSmkII. For my $8000 I

will get about 3 pixels for every one pixel on my 10D. I'll also go from a 1.6x to 1x

magnifier on my lens focal length. This much I know...

But, and here comes the arguably idiotic part of the question, what else are you buying for

your 8000 bucks? In which other areas is the 1DSmkII superior to the cheaper 10D?

After all, to play devil's advocate, they are both digital SLRs with auto/manual modes,

multiple focussing points (of which I only ever use the central one), ttl flash metering, etc

etc... Having never used a pro SLR body, I'd appreciate people's comments on the relative

merits.

TIA

David

Other than a carry-around point-and-shoot, the 1Ds MkII that I got for Christmas is my first "real" digital camera. In the week that I've had it, a few things come to mind: the picture quality is fantastic; it's built like a tank, and weighs like one too; I don't believe it's an ideal travel camera. Haven't weighed it with a 24-70mm L zoom, but it seems as heavy as my Hassy with 100mm lens.

Have heard great things about the dust sealing measures that Canon has done with this camera. If I were in your position, with the 10D, I might be inclined to hold on to the 10D for 12-18 months until the 1Ds MkII beame more reasonable pricewise, and "bugs", if any, were worked out.

> the 1Ds MkII that I got for Christmas

Wow, some people get only socks and stuff ... congratulations!

Somehow I would feel embarrassed as an amateur (don't mean that *you* are one) going around with a $8000 camera, though I would like to try one ;-) Take care.

The way I see it you are already well into the DSLR world with a half decent, make that a .625 decent (taking into account the sensor size) camera. The 1DsII is only worth the $8000 to a pro. In 3-4 years you can buy a barely broken in used one for 1/4 of that price or it's new consumer equivalent for 1/2 of that price. Personally, I'm waiting, but if you've got the bucks and nowhere else to spend them, then get the "full" decent camera now. Happy New Year!

I've seen 20x30 prints from a 2.7 MP D1H that looked pretty damn good.

I've exhibited and sold Super B prints from 10D files.

Randy Olson is shooting for National Geographic with a 10D.

If you'd like to buy a DsMkII 'cause it's a hell of a thing and is way cool, by all

means, go ahead, but a "genuine reason"....come on, man, get real.

IMO, You'd be better off dropping 8 g's on attending a good digital printing

workshop.

So many advantages, so little space.

Mainly (for me at least) the huge files and larger pixels combined with higher ISO performance. Its a camera that will be almost as good MF. I sold my 10d's when the 20d's came and don't think there is much to compare between those two, never mind the 1Ds MkII.

Other advantages are shutter life, faster and more (way more) accurate AF, better CF's dual writing (insurance) to memory cards, less stress over how to spend your hard earned cash, weather sealing, battery performace, Ettl-2 (that seems to work), friendlier and more helpful staff at the camera store where you buy from, etc. etc.

OTOH, the 10d can be had for a tenth of the $$, and if you drop it (don't) its not such a big dent (floor or wallet).

If you have the 8k, get it and don't look back!