Should framed prints be signed

<table><tr><td>    </td><td><i>"Does God sign the sky?" I forget who said that now, Stieglitz or someone like that.<p>

<b>Maybe if He did, there would be fewer arguments over whether He is entitled to the credit.</b></i>

</td></tr></table>

<p>

If he was indeed entitled to the credit, he would have signed...

Many thanks for all of the helpful replies. They were much appreciated. I signed the lower left side of the mat, just below the picture, in pencil. The label on the back states the name of the flower in both English and Latin, the location, a copyright symbol, the year and my name. All that is needed now are some discriminating buyers.

I hand write all information in the border area of the print with an HB pencil -- photographer (me), location, date, print number, and anything else important. I never write on the matte and never on the print area itself. On the back I stamp name and address. If it's a drymount I stamp the back of the mount, but these days I mainly hinge my prints against the backing with some acid-free linen tape. I agree that a signature on the print or matte is pretty tasteless. I too have had to explicitly sign a print, even though my handwriting is easily recognizable. No problem, I'll sign the border if someone wants it. My mattes are also hinged, so it's pretty easy to just lift it and check the writing on the border.