This brian's brilliant idea od averaging the A/O is doing incredibly great and production results.

Brian's brilliant idea of using "averaging combined score" to place

the pictures in the TRD the A/O for placements is doing an incredibly

great job. Now I am learning. How do I do that you say? If you click

on the pull down manu on Gallery and go to "top pictures", you then

start with "previous" insted of "next" to scroll. Before long, you

would learn so much about what makes a bad picture that doesn't

appeal to the Pnetters. I learned so much here, except it also makes

me wonder is I will ever get to the top pix, even just for a few

hours :-0. Thanks for sharing my POV. Cheers

I'm bemused as to how anyone can thing the Top Photos Gallery is working well. Averaging ratings is sensible but... The top spots are generally filled by a small group of mate raters with a lot of average to good photos all enthusiastically scored 7/7 by their friends and fellow countrymen. Truly great photos are generally to be found on page 2 or 3. This is grossly unfair to those greats of the photonet world who these days, barely get a look in. I don't know what the answer is, but the present system sure isn't working. (please don't take this as a dig at Brian and co, who I think do a brilliant job fighting off the bot attacks!)

The Mate Rating has been addressed, I believe, by a filter program running in the background. It notes if there have been a lot of mutual ratings in high numbers between photographers, and negates them from the average. Mate rates succeed, therefore, for only a few minutes...then they're not averaged and drop to non-mate, actual averages.

Chris, yeah, it has been addressed and forgotten. The filter worked for a couple of days and that was it. If you don't believe me look at the YB/KL duo. <p>

Peter, the sort by Average was done to balance the overabundance of nudes on the TRP, which occurred when the default was by Number of Ratings. <p>

I agree with Ivan, this site is broken. The problem is how to fix it. I know Brian and Company are trying to do that; but it is not working.

Well said! Yes, even if the filter worked and removed ratings, that would only help a little. For some reason, when someone sees a picture on the first page with 6's and 7's from their mates, they are loath to rate it the 4 or 5 that it deserves (imo). There is a tremendous herd instinct to do what everyone else has done.

I know this has been suggested many times but surely all pictures that are rated should go through the same process ie the ratings forum? At least on here, you have no idea what the picture has been given by others, so are more likely to rate honestly. Unfortunately many people put their names on the photo, so mate rating would still occur, but could still be removed and anyway, would be much less of an influence. I'm sure many of us are sad to see the parody that the Top Photos has become.