Buying slr digital camera...Which one would you choose?

daniella_daniella

Hello everyone

I am new to the board and to photography. I will be working with a

more experinced photography to get experience under my belt. My

strenght is in digital editing. I am going to purchase my 1st

digital slr camera. I have narrowed the choices to:

1. Pentax *istDS

2. Olympus E-300

3. Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Would you consider any of these camera suitable for photo-

journalistic wedding photography?

Daniella

"Would you consider (the Pentax *istDS, Olympus E-300 or Canon EOS Digital Rebel as being) suitable for photo-journalistic wedding photography?"

I would not. Spend some more money and get the Canon EOS 20D or, if funds allow, the Canon EOS 1D Mark II:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/20d-part1.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/canon-1d-mkii.shtml

When I first used a dslr at a wedding, it was the 300d. I used it as a second body to my F5. It is slow but acceptable for most things. When trying to shoot it along side a very fast body it seemed 'underpowered'.

I think the system you buy into is a big deal and I would therefore head toward either canon or nikon myself. I tried the D100 and found it lacking in pic quality. Then I tried the 300d and what a difference. So I go with Canon.

If you need to choose a system, i'd get a 10d for about the same money. If you can, get a 20d, you won't regret it.<div>00AanR-21120384.jpg.d6fa1cca8f494cfb394b7964a2e98c2b.jpg</div>

"Would you consider any of these camera suitable for photo- journalistic wedding photography?"

Does this mean available light only? The answer would still be no. New cameras are coming out soon...again. But today's choice for high iso available light interior would be the Canon system and a 20D minimum. If you are mixing it up with fill flash then go Nikon and the D70, especially for a newbie becasue the Canon and thier flash sytem is...well, not as good or predictable.

I am also considering buying a digital slr for experiencing the new learning curve. Would anyone consider the Fuji S2 pro? I know the s3 is now on the market, but I would rather stay in the s2 price range. And also, considering I'm a little above an amateur, do I really need that expensive camera or would the Nikon D70 be efficient for the moment?

Daniella, your question begs answers to other questions. Do you already own lenses from

one of the systems you mentioned? How much photography do you expect to be doing in

the next two years? Are you a small person with small hands? And that's just for starters.

The Pentax allows use of all the delightful lenses including manual focus ones of the past.

All rather inexpensively. The *1stDS camera and many of those lenses are quite small.

I know nothing of the Olympus, nor have I shot with one. But the question to ask is

whether it's a dead end system with a proprietary lens selection? ( I haven't a clue, but

others might).

The Canon is okay, but perhaps not up to spec for weddings. Maybe a good back-up, but

as a primary PJ camera I would have some doubts. An EOS D10 would be better perhaps,

but a D20 with improved flash control, higher spec's and new features might be better.

The final question relies on the answer as to your projected work load in the following

years. I suspect none of these cameras you mentioned were intended for heavy pro use,

and weddings can place quite a strain on gear. If you go that route, a strong consideration

would be to have at least a film camera of the same make waiting in the wings, along with

a bag of film ... just in case.

I shot my first digital wedding with a Canon Digital Rebel. The results were acceptable, accept when trying to shoot in low light at ISO higher than 400. I did feel embarrassed when standing beside amateurs with better cameras though. By my second digital wedding I'd upgraded to a Canon 10D. The main problem with the DRebel was its slow shooting speed. I now have a 20D as my main camera, while my assistant uses my 10D. I still take the DRebel to weddings as a back-up camera and I wouldn't worry about the quality of its results if I needed to use it. I've had to use it as a back up on other types of shoots, and for those occasions it's been a lifesaver.

Your first digital SLR is a key choice because once you start buying lenses, flashes and accessories for it you become locked into keeping with that maker's cameras. I'm glad that I chose Canon, but choosing a particular make of camera is like getting a tattoo: once you've made the choice you have to keep telling yourself and others, "It's the best decision I ever made!"

May I suggest you look at the D70. The images look very nice from this camera. The flash sync is 1/500 of a sec.

I have shot wedding with my D100 and my clients where very happy with the photographs. I have had prints made up to 20X30 from this camera and they look very good at 800 iso they look better then 35mm would at that print size. Of course I shoot raw and have my workflow sorted out.That includes noise reduction and sharpening.

The D70 with a newer chip design may have even cleaner files then my D100.

If where me I would go to a large camera store and try the different cameras out. See which one fits better in your hands. If you are not comfortable using it then it will be hard to get good results from it no mater who makes the camera.

Michael

300D works fine for weddings. In a print that is 8 x 10 or smaller the laymen will not see any difference between a 300D, 10D, or 20D. Pixel peepers will argue otherwise. As far as speed is concerned, I've rarely needed more zip...

The more important quality aspect is style, experience, lenses and post processing files.

A good sense of service and being fast on your feet will garner more customer satisfaction than fancy gear.

As Marc mentioned, get a film backup. If your getting paid make sure you have redundant gear in case of equipment failure. What follows is a basic no frills minimum DSLR/Film kit:

300D + kit lense

Elan 7

Tamron 28-70 Xr Di zoom

Fast prime (50mm or 85mm)

Two flashes (pref 550/580)

Flash bracket plus cord

3GB compact flash

Tripod w/ cable release

Computer w/ horse power

• 4 weeks later...