Canon 20D with lens for $499.99 at Amazon markeplace???

I don't understand. Amazon sells a new Canon 20D with the EF-S 18-55 zoom lens for

1478.94. Later in the marketplace listing they give you when searching on this camera,

there is a third party (actually several, slightly different prices) that offers this camera and

lens for 499.99. Amazon seems to vouch for these merchants, and offers a guarantee on

their behalf. I was not born yesterday, and can usually figure out the catch. But what is

going on here???

It's a scam.

I run Amazon ads on my website and I've complained to them about this (20D scams). They responded and promised to look into it. Actually when I looked today, all the obvious scam ads that I'd complained about do seem to have been removed. I don't know if it was my complaint, but if it was then Amazon were certainly responsive.

There still seems to be one, but when I complained there were about 10, all offering the 20D for about $400!

Basically anybody can post an ad with Amazon for new or used equipment. They don't checkout private posters before allowing them to post, just like anyone can post an item on Ebay. I assume they get so many that they can't check them out after they post either, unless they get complaints.

It makes Amazon look bad (Amazon themselves are very good) and I'd hate for amy visitor to my site (or photo.net) to get suckered in by these scammers.

I don't know what the odds would be of getting money back from Amazon if someone was dumb enough to fall for one of these scams. If you read their "a-z gurantee" page it looks like you should be covered up to $2500, but I don't think I'd risk it myself!

<< Amazon seems to vouch for these merchants, and offers a guarantee on their behalf. >>

No, they don't* and no, they don't**.

* anyone can open a marketplace account.

** only purchases made through Amazon Payments receive this. I don't believe any of the fraudulent sellers accept payments this way.

For more information see the previous threads here on photo.net.

The non-U.S.A. models cameras will go for substantially less than the USA models. I was tempted to buy a Fuji S3 Pro for $1299 instead of $2599, but then after checking, I found out that the $1299 model was not the USA model. The difference is that there is no USA warranty and the software is different. The operations manuals are not in English, etc. Beware of great deals and remember the famous quote: "Anything that is too good to be true is usually a scam", you can bet money on it and win 99.99% of the time.

Too good to be true? - www.bestchoicedigital.com offer the Canon 20d with 18-55 zoom

for $1129, and the Nikon D70 kit for $699... Can this be right?

It just didn't sit right with me, even though there is plenty of good feedback on the site...

A little digging also reveals a lot of unhappy customers.

Maybe I am cynical, but WHY would you sell an item for $1129, when you could sell it for

$1478?!

If it sounds too good to be true, it nearly always is.

I ordered my D70 from Abe's of Maine in the end... Got a good deal (More than ?450

saving on UK price), a warranty, manual, and piece of mind.

"WHY would you sell an item for $1129, when you could sell it for $1478?! "

Why? because of competition. If you have a huge stock of 20D's on your self and can't get rid of it and know that there is a newer model coming out next month, you'd get rid of it quick and make a tiny profit or at least break even with a 20% discount. However, anyone that offers a 75% discount on a new camera is a MAJOR SCAM, that's for sure.

This is very simple:

Whenever you buy any equipment, buy it from an established dealer such as B&H or Adorama or such.

I just bought an Olympus FL-50 flash tonight from B&H for $10 more than an eBay dealer. I feel good about the buy. I have done considerable business with them with absolutely no problems at all.

If you buy from an established dealer you will have no problems.

The price you quoted is an obvious scam. You will never see your money again, and you will not recieve the item you bought.

That's the way it is nowdays.