Most underrated Nikon

wayne_cornell2

• 1 month later...
I once borrowed a Nikkorex F for awhile; and had no problems. Then I got a Nikon F in 1964; and another new one later. A chrome Nikkormat FTn I got in 1973 has never required a CLA; nor the several F's or F2. A black Nikkormat FTn-K from about 1975 jammed up about 3 or 4 times; and spent most of its entire life in Garden city; getting repaired; waiting for parts; under warranty. It had a MTBF of about 3 rolls of film; and was a total lemon; dog poop camera. A Nikon FG bought from KEH was a total nightmare; a gift for a girlfriend. It hasd a MTBF of about 10 rolls of film. Every darn thing broke on it; accept the lens. I got a 50mm F2 old lens; that was AI converted. The wind lever came off several times; the camera jammed up three times. The camera would not always drop the mirror back down on occasions; say once per roll. It was back at KEH; the Garden city; then back home. I remember walking up and down Main Street in Ventura; trying to find the wind lever; rewind knob; etc that dropped off; after the darn piece of dog dung was just repaired. We drove to DELS in Santa Barbara; where they said the FG was a crap camera; that they didnt even like to work on. After yet another repair at Garden City; the Nikon FG died while shooting some images up by the cross in Ventura; Calif. <B>It was a totally great feeling to toss the garbage Nikon FG camera over the cliff at the Ventura Cross; down into the revine. Just like the relief in throwing up.</b><BR><BR> At some point it is not worth fooling with a lemon; dumping good money after bad; spending hundreds of dollars on repairs; and still having parts fall off; shutter jams; mirrors not returning down..<BR><BR>Some in my experience since 1964; Nikon F (five of them) and F2's get A's; chrome Nikkormats (three) get A's and B's. Nikkorex F gets a B. Nikon FG's and black Nikkormat FTN-K's get F's; and should be crushed. :)

• 2 months later...