the Nikon F3 was so highly regarded. Part of the discussion

regarded "underrated". Nikon models. Sounds like a good topic of its

own.

I would probably cast my vote for most underated Nikon model for the

Nikkormat FT3. It was the first with ai indexing and was constructed

in the old "built like a tank" style. The film advance lever is, as

far as I'm concerned, perfectly angled. And the FT3 uses modern

silver batteries. Didn't last long, however because of the

introduction of the lighter, smaller FM.

Any other nominations?

Just to be different...<P>

I think the most underrated <I>manual focus</I> Nikon is the N8008s. It is not a speedy auto-focus camera, and was surpassd by the N90s soon after its release (playing catch-up for the N8008), but as a manual focus camera, with AI / AIS Nikkor, it is great.<P>

You get a high-eye point finder, 1/8000th of a second top speed, integrated motor, electronic rangefinder with focus direction indicator, spot metering as well as the standard center weighted pattern, and much more in a smaller package than an F3 with MD-4, or even an FE2 / FM2 / FM3a with MD-12.<P>

I love mine, and it hasn't had an auto-focus lens mounted on it for over 10 years.

Most underrated Nikon?? -> the ones i sold at ebay :-P

( I was lucky though and bought even more "underrated" Nikon stuff later at the same place)

Anybody looking at "old, outdated" manual film Nikons can list you at least a dozen of underrated Nikons. Does the model matter? - not much really. the good thing is, that the "working value" can still be very high .-)

EM. In most cases its AE works beautifully. If you have enough experience to know when the light is suitable, these cheap little cameras can produce excellent shots. They were made in the days when Nikon first tried to cut costs and make cheap cameras, but back then they made sure the quality was there. Now they don't - look at an N50!!. Regards, Ross

Nikon EM and Nikon 2020/F301

The EM can do amazing lowlight exposures in Auto mode, and has a mechanical "Bulb" shutter setting.

The 2020/F301 was my first Nikon. It was given to me by someone who hated the camera, but I came to appreciate its accurate meter wealth of exposure modes.

I agree re: EM. I just pulled out my EM, I don't know how many years ago I got it, maybe 20+? I found I had the 50mm series E and the 100mm series E lenses which I have no recollection of even having. I just got back a roll of black and white shots that were spot on and crystal clear. I forgot I even had it, it was in a box in the garage for years.