35mm/120 hybrid

rjacksonphoto

I have beeen down this track and in reality its a no brainer.

Its cheaper to shoot 120, if you want the 24X57 size via 120 you can crop either way, you have the possibility to crop up or down to give you a shift if you require and you will probably not bugger up you nice Hasselblad magazine in the process. Keep on buying 120 film. The more people who do...the more the likes of Kodak and Ilford will bother.

Brian

35mm film will give you the view of the lens you are using it won't magically wident the angle of view of the lens. And so what if your scanner doesn't scan 120 does it scan 35mm negitives if so then take your 120 filmneg and a pair of sissors and make it the same wideth as 35mm film with or without the sprocket holes.

I do exactly what Brian suggests with my Rolleifelx 35E and it works just fine of course I can't put a wide angle on my Rolleiflex the way you can on your hassleblad.

Your making something very simple (cropping a negitive) very difficult. For NO gain what so ever. If you are so poor that you have to save a few cents on film and developing I would suggest selling the Hasselbald and buying a Bronica out fit the money reeped should cover your film costs for quite a while.

Exactly, David. At last count, I have 16 35mm cameras if I'm simply looking to expose a piece of 35mm film.

Mark and Brian, if you're interested, you can read a little about this process in John Evans' "Adventures with Pinhole and Home-made Cameras: From Tin Cans to Precision Engineering" available from Amazon.com. It's especially useful for exposing films that are often only available in 35mm format like IR. The exposure of the complete piece of film with the 60mm wide frame (vs 36mm) is what I'm looking for, although I don't think I'll be able to scan it on my 4000ED. The spool modification for a Hasselblad back lokks interesting but maybe too complicated for me.