The lightest/smallest 8x10...that does not cost a fortune?

ryan_mcintosh

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am looking for a new

8x10 camera for the field, that can fold up preety small...and is

somewhat light weight. I really do not have much money, so paying

more then 1,000.00 for a camera is WAY out of my budget. I would be

willing to purchase one used also.

I have been using the heavy Calumet 8x10 monorail camera, and I can

no longer carry that when hiking.

Also, does anyone know a company that makes backpacks to fit a 8x10

camera into?

Thanks,

Ryan

Would the f64 8x10 backpack hold a monorail camera?

I've used the f64 8x10 backpack for five or so years, first for my 8x10 Deardorff system now for my Linhof Master Technika 4x5 system. It's hard to say whether it would hold a monorail without knowing the dimensions of the monorail. The pack is divided into two basic pockets (plus five smaller pockets). The pocket at the top takes up about a third of the bag, the one below it takes up the other two thirds. The latter is the pocket intended for the camera and whatever else will fit after the camera is in there. That pocket measures about 15" x 15" x 6" so if your monorail would fit in a space that approximate size then it would fit in the f64 8x10 backpack. The top pocket is large enough to hold three or four lenses depending on their size.

I like the 8x10 pack for 4x5 because it's the first pack I've ever had that has enough room for all the photo gear plus water, food, etc. without being big and heavy even when empty. With my 4x5 camera, five lenses, meter, eye glass case, many filters, loupe, several boxes of Readyloads, spanner wrench, rain cover, and the usual little miscellaneous stuff, I still have extra room.

Thanks for the suggestion on the bag. I will look into that.

As for the Bender 8x10, I do not think that would be any better then what I have. I find its very diffifult to use a full rail camera in the field, and my calumet is the same basic design as the Bender (just metal and plastic). With carrying those skinny wooden parts in a backpack, something would FOR SURE get broken. The camera is a good price thought.

As for the "Worlds lighest" 8x10 camera, that would not really work eaither. First off, I cannot afford 1,600.00 dollars for the body, and it seems to me that they just skimped on metal and stuff to make it. This may make it lighter...but I am sure it makes it weaker.

Anyone have any suggestions for a wooden field camera that could fold up? Price range- 400-900 dollars possible.

Thanks.

<i>Anyone have any suggestions for a wooden field camera that could fold up? Price range- 400-900 dollars possible.</i>

<p>

Burke and James 8x10 view cameras can be rather inexpensive. They fold up and are fairly portable. I paid $350US for a complete kit, including camera, film holders, case, and 12 inch Commercial Ektar that was in pristine condition. YMWV, but such deals are not once in a lifetime events. I've seen several such deals over the years.

Ryan, try checking out a Wista wood 8x10. I shot one for years and years. They are very durable, reliable, and fold up for easy backpacking. You can find them on ebay, usually for slighly under a $1000.00. As far as bags go, I actually went to a large "outdoors" store (the kind that specialize in camping, etc) and found a backpack, that with a little modification, would hold the camera, 8 film holders, the lens, light meter, etc. I paid 75.00 retail for it. I still have the bag, but sold the camera a couple of years ago.

f64 are the backpacks of choice for 8x10 IMHO. For a fairly light 8x10, take a look at the magnesium Eastman Commerical at about 9lbs. The economical man's Phillips in my view. One is available on the Bay with lens -- see #7505842277. I am not nor am I related to nor do I know the seller.

Ryan,

As far as the original question goes, you will not find a new 8x10 for $1,000. In general, you cannot have cheap, light, with good features and build quality. You can have any two. BTW, Gowlands are good cameras, I've seen a couple, and Sinar P2s they aren't; but if I wanted light, reasonably rigid and good features, I wouldn't hesitate.

As Chris pointed out, for less than a thousand, you're in used Agfa and B&J territory, neither of which are particularly light and they're typically sized. You could also do a NFS deardorff, which could be had for about $400 - $650, then add front swings later - weight about 12 lbs.

In your situation I'd probably go for a nice Kodak 2D in the $250 - $350 range (be sure the bellows is good, that's a budget buster for a $300 camera). Not a lot of movements, but light and reasonably rigid if it isn't worn out.

Steve

Steve Hamley wrote, on Apr 06, 2005; 07:57 p.m.:

"In your situation I'd probably go for a nice Kodak 2D in the $250 - $350 range (be

sure the bellows is good, that's a budget buster for a $300 camera)."

Where can one find such a beast? (I'm looking for something like that too.)

Ardeshir,

They come up on eBay frequently, and the one I bought for a friend came from Midwest Photo Exchange. I'd try Midwest, Quality Camera, and some of the other large dealers. There's one currently listed on eBay but I'd pass because it seems to be missing the rail extension. The rail extension is a separate piece from the one that folds down in front, and attaches to the rear of the camera bed via a large screw.

Ideally, the camera should have both the extension rail and the tripod centering block because both are very rare by themselves. You can get by without the tripod centering block, but I'd pass on a camera missing the extension rail. A rail was listed separately on eBay recently and was the first I've seen in a long time. It went for $170, or almost as much as a decent camera with the rail.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

You may want to consider getting a Century Universal. I bought mine off ebay a couple of years ago and was quite pleased with it. You can read a review at:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/century/century_universal_8x10.htm

Recently, I got a Wehman 8x10 field camera (which is an extremely well-designed modern 8x10; just google for Wehman 8x10 field camera) and so I don't really need two 8x10s. I have not made up my mind yet, but I might be willing to part with the Century Universal. Contact me directly and we can talk.

Best,

Markus