MF film in New Delhi, India, where to buy/develop?

kosmoskatten

Hi all, I'll be hauling my Hassy SWC around northern India for five

weeks starting on the 14th of March. Anyone know of a reputable

laboratory/camera outfitters around New Delhi where I could refill

with fresh film and possibly develop some negs?

Kind regards, Henrik

Hello Henke,

there are a few photography stores and many camera stalls on Chandni Chowk and the kinari bazaar area. That is on the wayand not far from the red fort if you are coming from Pajarganj area.

Although the most modern and professional lab i saw in delhi or india for that matter was at Connaught Place.I unfortunately cannot find their exact adress or name. All i remember is that they where on the inner circle (Rajiv Chowk) not far from the main post office.

In the same area are many nice bookstores where you can find some beatifull photo books of india and its many marvelous regions.

Also you could look on the lonely planet web site in the "thorntree" section, they have a "tech"section/forum.

How lucky you are, as at this time last year i was arriving in dheli for my second trip in this marvelous country.

take care .........philippe lord

Many thanks Philippe.

I also (just now) got an answer that gave me the name of a "famous" place called Mahatta & Co opposite Narula fast food centre around Connaught Place.

Could this be the one place you were thinking of?

Looks like I'll be fine. Sounds reassuring about going to Delhi, look forward to it!

;-) Henrik

Try Delhi Photo Company on Janpath near Connaught Circle. A few hours ago they offered to process 25 rolls of 220 E200 Pro (E6) for Rs 200/- (~US$5.50) ea. They will do 220 E6 on advance notice, but seemed to like 120 better. Didn't ask about C41, but I assume they'll do that as well. Didn't seem like a good source of 120/220 film though, not much selection. 135 selection is better. I actually went there for 135 (bought Reala), and just inquired about MF while inside. Like someone else pointed out, another good area is Chandni Chowk, along the main street. Cheaper than DPC, so you may want to try there first. 120/220 is probably iffy though. (I brought all the MF film I could possibly use.)

Enjoy your trip! India is an amazing place to run amok with a camera. I'm off to Himachal Pradesh (Daramsala/Mcleod Ganj) tomorrow...

Here's what my receipt says...

<p><br>

Delhi Photo Co.<br>

78, Janpath, New Delhi -110 001<br>

Ph: 3320557 (+91 11 3320667) <br>

Email: dpco@bol.net.in<br>

<br><p>

"Life like studio portraits * B/W & Colour Processing * Printing * Slide Processing & Duplication * Digital Photography"

• 4 years later...

<p>Updated prices and information on 2 of the main photo labs in Connaught Place, New Delhi. (<strong>January 2009</strong> ).<br /> I found Mahatta & Co and Kinsey Bros shops had friendly and experienced staff and spoke good english and understood all of my photographic needs for both digital and film. However I would only these shops for neccesary developing of film whist in India and not for any other service they offered such as buying a digital camera or extra memory card/battery etc where both shops had a poor range and were considerably over-priced.<br /> <br /> The first, Mahatta & Co , 59 M block Connaught Circus, New Delhi. http://mahattaimaging.com/<br /> I chatted with the Manager and mentioned that I wanted to check out and review their service and put some prices on the internet, so they wrote these following prices out for me, and I went ahead and developed a mixture of rolls, medium format and 35mil, colour and slide. They came back 3 days later in nice cardboard sleeves and you have the choice of how you would like them uncut or cut etc, but I was horrified to find <strong>some scratch lines through the 35mm negs,</strong> even though I specifically asked about that and was assured it wouldnt happen! I didnt use the scanning service here as it was so expensive.</p>

<p><strong>Mahatta & Co. </strong> (prices in Indian Rupees)<br /> <strong>Processing Only.</strong> <br /> 120 B&W 60/-<br /> 120 Colour E/6 250/-<br /> 120 Colour C41 50/-<br /> 35mm B&W 60/-<br /> 35mm Colour E6 250/-<br /> 35mm Colour C41 50/-<br /> prices given include cardboard folder/case. for plastic slide mounts add 425/-</p>

<p><strong>High Quality Scanning</strong> of 120 film to CD (per film)<br /> 4bit 250/-<br /> 8bit 350/-<br /> 16bit 450/-</p>

<p>The second, <strong>Kinsey Bros</strong> on the inner circle, A-2 Connaught Place, New Delhi.<br /> <strong>Processing only</strong> <br /> 120mm B&W 100/-<br /> 35mm B&W 50/-<br /> 120mm Colour 150/-<br /> 35mm Colour 40/-<br /> 35 &120 E6 250/- with plastic mounts 500/-</p>

<p><strong>Scanning.</strong> <br /> Jpeg Medium file size. 33 images from uncut 35mm roll, negs & slides 150/- 120mm 500/-<br /> Jpeg large files. 33 images from uncut 35mm roll 250/- 120mm 600/-<br /> tiff files. 33 images from uncut roll 35mm roll 750/- 120mm 1400/-<br /> <strong>Add 12.36% service tax to all Kinsey prices listed here.</strong></p>

<p>I hope somebody will find this useful, and please post info and prices on other labs in delhi that offer medium format processing.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...