Mechanical Shutter release D100

bill_harris1

I read in a post by SHEN in which he used a mechanical shutter

release to lock up mirror for cleaning CCD..Could someone elaborate

further on this...The only connection I can find is for a remote

electronic cable release and does not lock up the mirror..As I

understand it the D70 or D2's do not have a mirror lock up either..

You select 'M' manual mode on the dial, then dial in "bulb" shutter speed, then connect a

locking type shutter release cable, press it (and lock it), which flips the mirror up and

opens the shutter as in any bulb exposure. Clean the CCD. Of course, the risk is the

shutter comes down while you are cleaning it, causing some sort of horrible damage. That

is why Nikon recommends the AC power adapter and the menu selected mirror lock-up

function to clean the CCD. I use the latter, and it would take a power grid failure to cause

damage.

YMMV.

Bill,

What Dan didn't tell you his method will cost $220 for the

Nikon MB-D100 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder. I have been using the locking cable release for 2 years and at least 12 cleanings. The reason I find this a relatively safe method is I only have the swab inside of the camera for about 2 or 3 seconds. Enough time to swipe the sensor twice. The batteries or cable release would have to fail in that short time period. Not that it couldn't happen but the risk in my opinion are very low. Make sure you have a fully charged battery and a good locking cable release. YOu could also send it to Nikon for cleaning, about $50 and probably several weeks of waiting. It's really just a matter of choice, good luck.