How will Leicas (apparently imminent) demise affect YOUR photography?

tom h.

Just Curious, if they DO go, will it have any affect on your

work?How?Why?- I'm happy to take bad photos of a wide range

of subects (sometimes for $$, sometimes not) with an extensive

array of equipment (get the odd good 'un tho), and I can't

imagine what'll change. Thoughts?

If "vintage" means any gear that's depreciated to roughly 60% of it's new value, then I agree with Bob.

I love using my Leica, but have never purchased a new item from them. OTOH, I've bought one new digital point and shoot, one new DSLR, two new lenses, one new flash and assorted new accessories from Canon in the last two years. I guess it's no real secret why one company's flush and the other one is broke.

I am at a loss of words why do we constantly care whether or when Leica goes out of business. Whether Leica was in business never mattered to me when I made the purchases of Leica M gear, it never mattered to me while I was using the gear to take pictures and it will not matter to me for the future. If somewhere in the future I find out I can't take pictures with Leica M gear then I will find the most sensible substitue and the life will go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on go on and on and on and on and on ...

i would hazard to guess that the vast majority of Leica users (distinct from Leica collectors) have never purchased a camera or lens directly from Leica and an even greater proportion of Leica cameras and lens currently in circulation are not being serviced or repaired by Leica Camera AG of Solms or its subsidiaries...

i'd speculate that the so-called 'demise' of Leica Camera AG won't affect many Leica users...

just my 2 cents...

I for one would never considering purchasing direct from a Leica dealer as the user/used M market more than satisfies my needs...

Interesting article in todays news. Revlon (which of course has far more money to play with than Leica) just announced their first profitable year since 1998. I don't know if Leica will survive their current troubles, but I wouldn't count them out yet.

'One day when I was across the hall visiting Sonya Sekula, I noticed that she was painting left-handed. I said, "Sonya, aren't you right-handed?" She said, "Yes, but I might lose the use of my right hand, and so I'm practicing using my left." I laughed and said, "What if you lose the use of both hands?" She was busy painting and didn't bother to reply. Next day when I visited her, she was sitting on the floor, painting with difficulty, for she was holding the brush between two toes of her left foot.' John Cage, in Silence.

My M3 will cry, its bloodline would be cut. I'll still shoot with it though.

The good thing that will come out of leica finally going under will be that this forum won't be populated by threads talking about the imminent demise of leica. Hopefully, some of the lenses will come down in price, I really want a leica 24mm that won't cost me more than my whole 8x10 outfit put together.

The U.S. Air Force continues to fly the KC-135 (constructed from a Boeing 707 in 1957-1958) and parts are (my guess) sometimes difficult to find in 'like-new' condition.

A Leica made in the 1990s should last about as long unless you drop it onto some rocks.