advice on challenging bridal requests

katie h.

I just interviewed with a bride and I need some advice. Just for

some background, I have shot three weddings on my own and countless

weddings as an apprentice to several local professionals. My style

is more artistic/ available light with a mix of traditional.

The bride I just interviewed with wants "magazine type" pictures

where "everything looks perfect" and although she admits she usually

doesn't like the way she looks in pictures, she wants a photographer

who can make her look flattering in every image (she won't buy the

ones where she doesn't like how she looks.)

Here's the problem. Number one, I don't think of myself as someone

who shoots in the magazine style. I've worked with professionals

who use double lighting and that seems to me what she might be

looking for (I'm just not equipped for that right now.) She's

having a late evening wedding in a church, so there will be less

than ideal lighting for on-camera flash or available light,

especially if she's expecting perfectly modeled "magazine style"

images.

Number two, I'm beginning to think that her expections may be

unreasonable for any photographer. I know every bride wants to look

great in every picture and I know I could give her beautiful photos,

but our interview left me questioning if she was going to be one of

thsoe people who are never satisfied. I don't know if it's because

of my own insecurities or because of the persona that she gave off

but I don't think I want to shoot this wedding. Problem is, she

looked at my work, liked it, and wants to book.

I am stuggling with the idea of turning down this/any wedding- like

I'm taking the cheap way out, but I'm just starting my business and

I don't need any unsatisfiable customers. I'm also not sure how to

tell her that I don't want her wedding. I'm wondering if I should

tell her someone else gave me a deposit for that day and I'm booked

now or if I should explain to her that the style I shoot may not be

what she is looking for (I'm not quite the photographer for you) and

I can't take her wedding.

What should I do? Has anyone been in a situation like this and how

did it work out? Thanks for any input.

Katie

My $0.02? Give her a high price, if she accepts get paid in advance (fully) and give it your

best shot! You never know?! maybe she'll be delighted, after all she does like your stuff.

Why not get a couple of light stands, umbrellas and a wireless flash controller with the

extra $$ she's paying you and give her the double lighting on the formals? Turn a negative

into a positive! AGAIN, JUST MY $0.02!

<p>IMHO - I would probably turn down the wedding if I were in your shoes. I

would also be honest with the bride and not tell her I had a booking if I didn't

really have one.</p>

<p>For me and my style, which is similar to yours, I think she would be

disappointed with my results. I would also be so stressed over trying to second

guess what would satisfy her I would probably miss a lot of good shots. The end

result would probably disappoint me also.</p>

<p>Anytime I turn down a wedding for scheduling or style issues I suggest a

couple fellow photographers to the bride. They are always grateful for the help.</p>

<p>Word of mouth is pretty powerful advertising. I would worry about this one

back-firing. </p>

<p>If you decide to take it, I would suggest finding a good assistant or second

shooter. Good luck.</p>

Go with your instincts. If YOU think you can NOT satisfy the requirements, politely decline.

If you are up to the challenge, then go for it.

The only advice I could give, based on experience, is that situations like these require skill

in PhotoShop retouching. They are usually time and/or cost intensive. I've had to work on

images of even beautiful brides to get them "magazine perfect". Remember, many of

those magazine shots she is referencing usually take all day to set up and light, with PAs,

make-up and wardrobe people scurrying all about fussing over the subject ... then are

handed over to a retoucher to work on even more ... not an easy thing to do with 200+

photographs taken in one 6-8 hour day.

But if she likes your work the way it is, maybe you'll be fine. If you're shooting film, you'll

need hi res scans to retouch, and the skill to do a lot of subtile PS tricks. OR you have to

really study each shot, and work the poses, lens draw and lighting for the most flattering

images.

If you feel that she may be one of those you can never please then don't take the job. Just tell her that your shooting style does not fit her requests and that she needs to look for a photographer that shoots the style that she wants. She may well like your style for other peoples weddings but does not want that for hers. Idealy you want clients that say I really like your work I want that for my wedding pictures.

Like the others said: dump her.

Tell her ass you, or anyone else on Earth for that matter, will be able to give her what she wants and that she should come back to reality.

Insticts = good. People should learn to trust them more often.

If you have a bride who wants her photos to look as good as shots of a model who has expert makeup and styling, an hour or more of prep for each shot, and probably a million-dollar location, I don't really think it's taking the cheap way out to turn down her business. Show her what you can do--if that's not good enough for her, she should look elsewhere.

Magazine pictures look perfect because good photographers are working with good professional models. You have to be able to direct a person so that everything looks right (big things: pose, light, hands, mouth, hair, makeup, etc.)and all the little details. And, oh by the way, you don't have the hours of time used for these magazine shoots. Getting people to look good in pictures is not an exercise in fix it in PS.

Unless you are comfortable in creating images, this will be a very stressful experience.

I agree with all the points above. Katie, you can't be all things to all people. I would be honest & explain that you don't necessarily shoot in the 'magazine type' style, but rather in the style you mention above as illustrated by the photos in your portfolio. I would then come up with a list of photographers in my area that shoot in the style she desires and provide her with that list. If after all this she still wants to book you, then I would probably book the wedding, but I'd follow up with an email/letter thanking her for choosing me and summarizing the 'discussion' about expectation & style so that everyone's clear come the day of the wedding. Good luck!

"The bride I just interviewed with wants "magazine type" pictures where "everything looks perfect" and although she admits she usually doesn't like the way she looks in pictures, she wants a photographer who can make her look flattering in every image"

I recall (I think it was Karen)a photographer I know telling me about a bride that had the same kind of request...

does she(the bride) understand how many hours a shoot like that would take?, how many frames have to be shot?, or or how much it would cost to have a hairstylist AND a make-up artist with her during the entire shoot...I'm sure you could make it happen, but just maybe not within the timeframe the bride has in mind

She said that she like your portfolio and that she wants "magazine" style perfect shots...so why not ask her if she thinks your photos are "magazine" style.

You have to remember that most people don't know all that much about photography. They know two types of photos...the crappy snap shots that they take and good photos. They probably don't know the difference between a million dollar SI shoot and good wedding photos.

Maybe explain to her that her "magazine" comment threw you off and explain to her what actually goes into a magazine shoot...and how that differs from a typical wedding shoot. Perhaps she was just trying to say that she wants nice wedding photos...clear communication is the key.

was just going to suggest something akin to what Mike H just said. Explain to your prospective client exactly what goes into doing those magazine shots. Most people really don't understand what it takes to do lighting and retouching like what is needed for "perfect". include everything involved as mentioned above, and then give her a price that covers you completely for everything needed....in other words very high for someone just starting out, but probably about right for a seasoned pro......like maybe $20K. And just explain, hair dressers, make up artist on full time, time needed to set up lights the right way, cooperation in full from the church, etc. And show her one of those websites from photographers who charge that price just to prove that you're not being ridiculous.

Then have a few inbetween the MAX and your present way, explaining what each rise in cost gets her (perhaps with websites to show those steps). Yeah, showing other photographers sites would normally compromise you getting the job, but in this case, seeing as you want to decline anyhow............what could it hurt.

At least you have explained in full just exactly what she is asking for.

I just did a magazine shoot. Let's see. Expensive makeup artist - check. Stylist - check. Art director and lead editor on site - check. A large room with huge background sets, two lighting kits, and a professional assistant - check. A few hundred images to capture maybe four for use in the magazine....

I'd tell this bride it would be better for her to look elsewhere. You might be able to get maybe 2-5 images she might like if you are working fast to set up those "perfect" shots on the wedding day. And then pray you are good at retouching. Those magazine shots, book covers, and bridal guides are nearly all professional models. Otherwise, be very professional and as nice as possible and refer her to someone else. She may come back to you after she comes back to her senses and realizes there is usually a very high price tag attached to that kind of photography work.

If she does want to use you anyway, maybe up the price a bit and suggest a pre-wedding day bridal and engagement shoot. Have her locate someone to do the makeup, bring in an assistant, use those images to supplement her wedding day images. That might work.

My bottom line opinion? I'd stay away from this one.

Katie I am very new to wedding photography but not to the business world. The business advice you are receiving here has been very accurate. You should be very upfront with the bride on what type of service and style you provide and let her no your true feelings and concerns on her requests. Such as the fact that perfect or magazine shots are next to impossible to guarantee in same day wedding photography. Tell her that you are very good ad what you do but as an experienced photographer you feel her requests would not be possible. Stay confident in this meeting and allow her to go shop around. give he your card let her know that you would love to hear from her. Chances are she will hear the same things from other photographers and come back to you. bottom line is you always want to be very clear on what service you are selling, and clear to the customer your concerns on there request so that the deal can be made on all the right terms. Also, just a suggestion, maybe offer a pre-wedding formals shoot were you would have the time to set your lighting, apply makeup etc. you might even be able to do it at the wedding venuw and get some posed ceremony type shots. tell her these shots you can guarantee but the ones at the wedding you can not in terms of perfect magazine type shots. I am not sure what your pricing structure is but maybe inlcude this in tha package somehow. anyway hope this helps.

Michael

I run into this idea that the photographer can somehow make a person look better then they do in real life. The Ansel Adams effect I guess. In reality I tell people I record what I see. As many others have said if this gal wants prefect magazine type photos fin you should have no problem recording them on film. But she needs to be talking to her makeup artist stylist etc. they are the one's in charge of creating a fantisy. Personally I would pass.

You didn't mention this, but did you show her a portfolio of your work? If so, what did she think? Obviously, if you showed her a portfolio and she said, "I don't want this, I want shots like in a magazine" then you know what to do: decline the job. If she wants shots like "in a magazine," she needs to hire a magazine photographer, and do a few days of on-location shots in San Simeon, the Biltmore Estate, etc.

Seems to me you would be best to steer clear of this client. Give her the number of your most disliked competitor and forget it.

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. I think I'm going to have another meeting with this bride. That way, I can clear up exactly her expections, explain my style, suggest some other photographers who might meet her needs and see where it goes from there. Thanks again and wish me luck.

Katie

This sounds like a wedding for Dr Phil. Start out your conversation with her by saying, "Honey, I can make you look beautiful, but I can't make you believe it."

I had a bride request all George Hurrell Hollywood Glamour shots for a wedding. After discussing the time, price, people and gear needed she decided on having just a few formals done in that style a few days after the wedding. Maybe you can suggest that a studio session be done after the wedding to create the Magazine Perfect style that she wants.

If she remains convinced that 100% magazine images is what she wants then give it to her, $35,000.00 creative fee plus expenses.

Brady