camera for commercial wedding work. I will also use it for other

commercail work and some stuff for myself.. just like I do with my

current equipment.

I expect to mix film and digital for a variety of reasons,

especially during the learning phases of this process. Some things

are just plain better shot in film for economy of time (negative

film). Other things I would rather see on a screen as a reversal

slide. Yet other things I prefer to do as black and white printing

in a wet DR on Fibre paper with all that entails.

However, for all the discussions one way or the other and as a

backer of film for a variety of reasons I took the plunge.. the Fuji

S2 can still be had NEW but is discounted a LOT with the

introduction of the S3 (and I would have gotten an S3 but the $$ put

the stop on that).

I also got a Tamron 28-75 2.8 AF Di lens to go with it.. and would

like to have feed back on this lens (did yours hold up well, and do

you like it and is it sharp etc etc.) I wanted the Nikkor

equivalent but it was sooo expensive.

So that is what I did.

Now comes the learning curve.. I hope I don't slide off! :)

First of all, I looked at your stuff. You will not slide off bucause the digital learning curve is not a steep as the curve of good photography.

You know 90% of what you need to now. The digital stuff is simple compared to what you know about light and composition.

Second, as far as mixing film. You will not be doing that for long. Digital is the tool that you will use when the S2 arives.

Keep shooting.

Errol

The fun and best of two worlds Nancy. I used a Fuji S1 for about a year and a half and it

was a wonderful tool. The S2 is even better.

I also think you will continue to use film just like many of us who shoot digital. Some really

big jobs are a PITA to shoot with digital. But it is seductive for more manageable sized

stuff. I just did my 3 hour annual corporate Christmas party for employees children and

had the prints off a Kodak 8500 to them Monday. Reprint orders are already rolling in and

it takes me 2 minutes a print for an 8X10.

I'm w/ you Nancy, I can't imagine not using film, but am very curious about digital. However, I've suddenly reverted "backwards" and am currently equipping a darkroom. Always a rebel, I guess. ;-) Actually, I just have a need to learn all the aspects, so let me know how it goes for you, digital is next on my hit list.

The Tamron 28-75mm has performed very well for me. I like to use it in smaller rooms and when I'm working w/ little ones, this is with a film camera of course. Many of my images are made w/ that lens.

Eric:

The S 2 is reported to have better skin tones right out of the camera than the D 100 (and I assume the D 70). The S 2 has a larger ISO range with less noise at high ISO. The D 100 and D 70 start at ISO 200.

Neither the D 100 or the D 70 have a PC connector for flash (hot shoe only) which is works with the automatic flash I have (and bracket). I will use the hot shoe when I up grade to a Nikon flash (or Sunpak or Quantum.. ) and use an SC 17 (or other compatible TTL cord).

I did comparisons of the D 100 and the S2 on line and then I went out and ASKED ppl who use these and the S 2 came in a bit ahead.

The BIG draw back with the S 2 is the dual battery system (abandoned with the S3). However, I decided it was worth it for other pro features not on the Prosumer Digital SLR's (D 70 and Canon digital Rebel). The D100 ALMOST went in the bag.. but the anecdotal discussions with users I had put the S2 in that bag instead.

I did not look at Canon because I currently have NO Canon glass or equipment. It is rated very well, and if I had Canon stuff already, I would have been over there looking and probably would have gone D 20 or used D 10.

I've used an S2 several times. The skin tones are nice, if a little warm. You don't need the A123 lithium batteries in the camera; they only power the built in flash. However, if they die in the camera, the camera will stop working. A photographer that I worked with who uses the S2 just doesn't put the lithium batteries in the camera. The S2 also goes through batteries pretty fast. Either use rechargeable NiMh or AA lithium batteries. One advantage of the S2 over the D70 (there's no point in getting a D100), is that the S2 can use older Nikon flashes, so yo don't have to buy the SB800. If you shoot in TTL mode you have to do a manual white balance with the flash. (I was told this by the Quanutm folks after I got poor results using a T2D in TTL mode.) Auto flash mode can be iffy if you shoot jpgs. The AF of the S2 can be pretty lame. In low light or for low contrast subjects like the bride's dress) you have to use the center AF sensor. On difference between the S2 and the new S3 and D70 is that the S2 uses the AF motor from the N80, the other cameras use the AF motor from the F100 and focus faster.

The Tamron lens is good and will focus as fast as any non AF-S lens will on the camera. Just make sure to check yours out when you get it: my first sample was soft, but the replacement was good.

Nancy, If it's not too late, I'd reconsider your choice.

Comparing the 'warm' skin tones of the S2 against the D100 and then defaulting the D70 as the same was a mistake. They are different cameras. Interestingly, do you plan no post control/processing over your images?

Does the S2 have ittl?

The D70 200iso is actually 100, as Nikon is known to under all their DSLR's by a stop. The noise at 1600 iso is among the best in the market.

I've gotten used to using the hotshoe adapter. I haven't gotten used to the lack of a ten pin connector though.

If it's not too late, I'd reconsider your choice. The S2 isn't the best bang for the buck, and I recommend the D70, obviously. Maybe post over in the digital camera forum for more insight?

Cheers,

E

I've had my S2 for over a year and been very happy with it, but haven't used a D70. The two-battery system isn't a bother, get high capacity NIMH rechargeable batteries for the four AA's (and a second tray for quick reloading if needed). Buy the CR123's on "your favorite auction site" for less than $2 each. You should get at least 400 shots out of both sets of batteries, and I understand the CR123's power the AF motor as well. You can remove them and the AF will be powered by the AA's, but it's probably not as fast and will wear the AA's down quicker.

Haven't used the Tamron but Will Crockett gives high praise to it (and the S2) on his site, www.shootsmarter.com

With all due respect, Eric, I am going to stick with the S 2. IF digital becomes my main method of taking pictures, then I will need to get a back up camera and in that case the D 70 will come into play.

I read up pn iTTL and it seems that this Nikon Proprietary system is mostly good for firing wireless banks of SB 800's. I don't have an SB 800.. and I won't have one for a long time (if ever) because what I have works. IF I upgrade my flash, I want a round reflector flash as it gives a better light QUALITY IMO. I have been looking at the Sunpak 120j and the Quantum Q... but RIGHT NOW, my flash is OK. I have also looked at used SB units but not the 800 due to its price.

The thing I must do is utilize as much as possible the things I have. I do not believe in always buying the new technology. Oh sometimes it is very NICE to have, but if what I have works for me, then I see no need in spending the extra money on it. this is, after all, a business and profit driven in the end.

The reason for the PC plug is Auto flash units on a bracket that are not TTL. I CAN go TTL and get the SC 17 (or other comaptible cord) but it all costs money. I think the Fuji S2 has a good track record in professional use. It has the features I want in a camera and it is well rated.

Will I post process on the 'puter? Of course I will. I will also try to shoot as accurately as possible to reduce this as much as possible. At this time I have no intention of buying a newer or bigger computer.. tho I certainly see a bigger and better monitor in my future. I am going to start out using PhotoShop 6. If I find I NEED the features of PS 7 or CS, then I will upgrade at that time.

The thing I see in this digital world.., well, it exists in the film world too.. are folks who are really more camera and gadget buyers than they are photographers. We have ALL seen those folks. I am decidedly NOT one of these folks. I buy things when I see the need to. When I do buy, I research the thing and get the best I can afford to get at the time. I think the S2 will do what I need it to.

If I find I NEED iTTL, then I will get something with that capability. However, at this juncture I have seen some wonderful photos produced by the S2. It is a good low end professional body. I have used this camera in the past and have been satisfied with the results.

The S2 does not have iTTL flash. At most it has D-TTL. There are lots of 3rd party flash makers that make flashes that will work in some TTL mode with the S2. If you want to keep your future options open for TTL flash, the Quanutm and probably Metz flashes are the way to go since they use TTL adapters and you will/can get iTTL adapters.

Thanks Bruce. The fellow I work for who used Fuji S2's and just ordered the S 3 has the Quantum flash. He uses it Auto and TTL. He also slaves a Quantum in the corner of the room as a room light for the reception bouncing it off the ceiling if possible. The TTL is mostly used outdoors when we use flash tho we have found natural light and a reflector is nice too.

Last summer we had one shoot where the sun hit the side of the house in front of where we were shooting providing WONDERFUL fill light in the shade accross the lawn. Oh the pictures that day were MAGIC.

My point is that I do use the PC synch and automatic flash. As I get better with digital I may go TTL but at this point I will use the light meter (flash meter) and test things until I know my equipment and how it will behave for my purposes. For awhile I will shoot film too and probably will always shoot film as I stated at the beginning.

This "new" S2 will be another tool im my arsenal.

Any more on the Tamron lens anyone? I have never bought an off brand lens before.

Have you done a search on photo.net? I don't have the Tamron but I heard from here and other forums the following: it has a yellowish color tone while Canon lenses are more neutral. The zoom ring operates in the opposite direction from a Canon lens. The AF is slower than a Canon lens. Quality varies (sharpness wide open), so test it and you may need to return it til you get a good one. At f2.8, it is a little soft (expected in a zoom, or any lens, actually) but the level of softness has not satisfied some. By f4, it is reputed to be very, very close to the 24-70 L. I have not heard of mechanical problems or how well it holds up. Tamrons don't have a reputation for compatability problems with Canon, like Sigma has.

Well, I'm definitely not into the CAPS talk. Makes me frown, with all due respect. But your last post has made it clear what level and gear you're into. PS 6? Then you're into jpg shooting and not RAW? Quantums over S8-800? Then you say the fellow you work for slaves a flash in the corner. Hmm, yep, sounds like a benefit of ittl to me. Well, I can't really say much more, except maybe you should go work for others.

On the Tamron - I have not noticed any yellow cast with print/slide film or digital. The only media that it would be any issue would be slide film. If the lens isn't properly aligned (i.e. soft) it will be soft even when stopped down. Since you're using Nikon, all the controls: focus, aperture ring and zoom will work in the "right" direction. Also, since the focus motor is in the camera, and not the lens, it focuses quite fast on Nikon bodies.