Canon 50 f1.4 vs 85 f1.8

greg_koni

I currently shoot a 1D2 with a 24-70 f2.8L and a 70-200 f2.8L. The

70-200 sometimes gets mated with a 1.4X TC. I shoot mostly outdoor

sports as a hobby but I am starting to make a little money at it.

My question is regarding a fast prime lense choice for indoor sports

as well as portraits considering the 1D2's 1.3 crop factor. I am

trying to choose between the 50 f1.4 and the 85 f1.8. I know the 85

comes in a f1.2 but I understand the AF is not suited for action

shots.

Although the original poster was asking about lenses for full frame film use, the issues have been extensively discussed in this very recent thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BMKf

especially as many respondents also assumed he was shooting digital. Look particularly at the links to Bill Castleman's evaluation of lens alternatives. I'd guess that 50mm is a little short on a 1D unless you can get very close to the action, or are looking for 3/4 length portraits.

tough choice. i have both for indoor basketball and use both. directly under a basket, for example, the 50 is better because i can pack in more action, and its hard to sometimes keep the ball in the frame with the 85 there. but from the baseline, the 85 is better, cuz of the greater reach. in terms of which to get first, i suggest the 85, because on balance you will probably get more cuz of the reach, and because its usm is clearly superior to the 50, which is a little problematic focussing in low light at times.

I find with the 24-70 and 70-200 in my bag, the 50/1.4 goes along more often. It is more versatile because it is sharp and it can be cropped quite a bit. However, the 85/1.8 goes when it is more of a portrait or sports situation. Sounds like the 85 would be the better choice for you.

I'm kind of curious...wouldn't you be better off using the same zooms for indoor use(more flexible in composition)...you could turn that lovely iso one more notch and get the same effect...now if you're bumping up at 3200(does the 1d2 have 3200iso?(I have a 20d))then it could be an issue...neat image could take out noise as well..just my opinion of course....

The lense will probably be used mostly for sports in poorly lit gyms. I am also being asked to shoot graduation pictures for several seniors and even though I could pop for both the 50 and the 85, I want to get a 420 EX as a slave to my existing 550 EX.

Greg:

I have both. I like them both at different times.

I think the 85 would be more useful to me shooting indoor sports where a little more extra reach could come in handy, as well as the blazingly fast AF. The 50/1.4 is no slouch, but the 85/1.8 is exceptional for the price. Depending on how far away you are, I'd consider the 135/2, except it will be a bit long for portraits given the crop factor.

Eric