If the lens is not to heavy or if one is willing to exercise and

build up muscle tone the f/2.8 is generally better. If the lens

is too heavy then a monopod provides a compromise between hand

holding and a tripod.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I had a 300mm f2.8 AF and a 300mm F/4. I had use a monopod for the f2.8. For one thing its heavy and second is that I can't afford to trust my flimsy camera strap to hold my $2000 lens alone. The F/4 lens was no problem. It gets tiresome after a while but not like swinging that f2.8 piece of expensive heavy pipe.

I decided to sell off the f2.8 lens after 7 months. I only used it 4 or 5 times and tho the extra speed was great for night sports but during the daylight hours, I never used anything under f5.6 anyways.

I have and use both 300mm lenses. Both are exceptionally good wide open, which is all that I ever use the f2.8 lens at. The f4 lens is pleasently handholdable, given enough light, but the f2.8 is rather too heavy for use without some kind of support. As for balance, the f4 is good with most camera bodies whereas the f2.8 needs a heavier F5, D1 or D2 series body as a counter-balance.

In short the f2.8 is ideal with a Wimberly mount, but you want the f4 if you're going to hold it yourself.

Gerald

( http://www.suresoft.ca/homepage/gcarter.html )

P.S. In one of my galleries there is a photograph of an elk made with the f2.8 hand-held (sometimes subjects just don't stick around long enough for you to assemble the right equipment)

I don't own a long lens but I've rented the 80-200mmf2.8 zoom several times over the last couple of years to use on my N90, and it's pretty heavy. I always have to have a hold of it - by the lens barrel itself - which I don't find bothers me. I don't consider the weight uncomfortable, and I'm a woman with somewhat better than average upper body strength (I lift weights partially just so I can tote around camera gear easily). However, my usage of it has been in situations where I can esily set the whole thing down if necessary and not worry about it.

That said, I intend to buy one of these lenses just as soon as I have the money saved....I suggest you try to borrow or (if possible) rent each of the lenses to see how you like them, as well as considering how much you might need the extra stops..I do a lot of low light shooting so it is important to me - it may be different for you. Have fun!

Unfortunately here in Italy the renting of photographic equipment isn't widespread as in other country, there are only few stores in big city that rent stuff.Until now I satisfied my photographic needs just with a Nikon FE2+50mm+105mm f2.5, but this year I had the chance to work on the crane inside the Imola circuit during the F1 grand prix, so I'm searching for a good 300mm telephoto lens.So in these situations the light is very variable and fast shutter speed is a must, for sure if the sun shines there's no problem with a F4.5 lens but you never know...At what ISO number the grain of the film became visible? ISO800? the moste sensitive film I ever used is an ISO400.

I agree 100% with David's assertion that the weight of the camera body plays a large role in determining the steadiness of a given lens. My 80-200 f2.8 balances wonderfully on my F4s, and can give crisp shots down to 1/30th handheld. However, on my N80 it feels like a wobbly, unbalanced brick, and I wouldn't trust it any lower than 1/60th.

I don't have much experience with lenses longer than 200mm, but I'd guess that a heavier camera would balance those better, especially without the use of a monopod or other means of support.

Generally speaking, if you care about your image quality, it is not a good idea to hand hold a long lens. Modern IS/VR may help to some degree, but if possible, it is best to use a tripod or at least a monopod. That was why in the early 1990's, Nikon users were asking Nikon to add a tripod collar to the 80-200mm/f2.8 for several years.

In situations such as events (e.g. weddings) it may not be practical to use even a monopod and therefore you have no choice.

The 300mm/f2.8 has an added problem that it is quite heavy. For most people, it is not practical to hand hold it for more than a minute or so anyway. A monopod can support the weight of the lens and body while leaving you pretty good mobility. I think that can be a good compromise.