Leica MP 'a la carte' - Black chrome? Vulkanit?

david_craig1

Roger: "A la carte subsidises the rest of us who can't afford it -- so why complain?"

Firstly I'm not convinced by your subsidy premise, but secondly, the a la carte principal

places a huge premium on practicality - unlike you I consider efficient film rewind to be

important. If a la carte was all about leather and paint I'd have no objection at all, but

when you need to take this expensive route to raise the efficiency of the MP to the level of

an M4/6 then I feel I do have a justifiable complaint.

Jorge: "Not many photojournalists using them for bread and butter, surely."

Well, you'd obviously struggle to find a wire photographer using anything but digital right

now, but there are still photographers making a living from Leicas. Certainly within

agencies like Magnum, VII, Vu there are people working with Leicas in a meaningful way.

"If Leicas have fallen in the exclusive grounds of collectors and fondlers, well then, I am

like Roger glad......."

The key word you use is "exclusive". I've no objection to collectors, but I do think it's

unfortunate that Leica seem to cater to their needs at the expense of photographers. Why

not satisfy both markets?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris,

>>there are still photographers making a living from Leicas. Certainly within agencies like Magnum, VII, Vu there are people working with Leicas in a meaningful way. <<

Absolutely! Salgado, Erwitt, Comte, just to name those that are top of my head... Still, anybody wanting to make a sound investment in a Leica should look at a well kept M6, there are thousands being put on the block by fondlers. They seem to be skimming the upper side of $1000. I would prefer an M2 tho. However, lets keep Leica afloat; the day it sinks all used gear bearing the marque will catapult in price.

• 2 years later...

Keep in mind that many companies use forms of price discrimination such as this. You sell the same (or nearly the same) product for twice as much to the rich person who doesn't care about price (or who would rather pay more for the status) as you do to everyone else. Car companies do it via rebates, airlines do it via business class (do you really think those seats are worth 10 times as much as coach?), and now Leica is doing it via a la carte.

The advantage of this is fatter profits for Leica without any real harm to average photographers like us. Good profits for Leica are in general in the interests of average photographers because we'd rather have a healthy Leica than a struggling Leica. A struggling Leica corporation is more likely to cut corners or even go bankrupt. These are all generalizations of course, but aside from principled opposition to the fetish with collecting pricey items that should be used (a sentiment I share), the fact is that such gimmicks don't really hurt us and perhaps even help us a bit.

As for the MP, I'm perplexed as those who prefer the M6, as I find the MP a more solid, smooth and efficient camera. But such things are highly personal, so I'm not sure there's much point in arguing about it.

• 7 months later...

Hi Roger and Trevor and others ...

I've really enjoyed this forum and feel now that I must put my own OAR in. Roger surely is right in pointing out that the 'a la carte' option makes good economic sense for Leica; but surely not in all cases from a potential buyer's point of view. How can anyone (except those with a lot more money than sense), be prepared to pay EXTRA to have the top plate of the 'a la carte' camera UN-ENGRAVED ? In the U.K. the 'extra' charge for this option is priced at 190 Sterling.

Overall, I think that the 'a la carte' programme does offer those people, who are bent on buying a Leica camera, more choice in buying one that suits them as individuals. But, I can't help feeling that it is only necessary because Leica in reality offers a limited choice. Even with their 'a la carte' programme it is not possible to order the 'M7' with the traditional rewind knob ! Why is that?

Dear Roger

Also meant to say that in principle the 'a la carte' philosphy is a brilliant one, or I think it would be, if it was only about the optional leather trim and final finish of the camera.

But I think that by now, the design of both the MP and the M7 should in theory at least, be beyond improvement. If for example, the rewind knob on the MP was its weakness, Leica should have re-designed it, rather than just re-using the old style rewind knob from the 50's models.

If their clever solution is the add-on lever (which clearly makes it more efficient), this in my view should come supplied with, or fitted to the camera - i.e. when it is bought, and optionally be detachable for those who insist on sticking with tradition.

But then again, they wouldn't then be able to charge us the exorbitant sum for the small add-on accessory (I think in the UK it's something silly like 175 Sterling) ! That must be I reckon, something like - or more than - its weight in gold .... so I think someone's having a laugh.