AF Zoom Lenses for travelling

renars_tucs

The kit lens is pretty good for the money. You'd have to spend a lot more money to improve on the optics. However, if you want a little more flexibility, I can suggest some useful features. You could, of course, buy a prime lens or two to round out your focal length selections, but it's nice to travel light (advice I don't heed) and minimize lens changes.

A wide-angle lens is very desirable when traveling, and 24mm is considerably wider than 28mm. At least one lens, the 24-120/3.5-5.6 AFS VR has two outstanding features: S (for silent motor) focusing and VR (image stabilization).

You probably know that many landmarks prohibit tripods, even if photography is allowed. VR is highly affective, and allows you to shoot as low as 1/15 second and get excellent results.

Another desirable feature is a non-rotating filter ring (as in the 24-120 VR), which does two things: it facilitates the use of a polarizing filter (essential for landscapes and travel), and permits the use of a tulip-style lens shade, which is much more efficient than the conical types.

The kit lens is not bad.

Thou ur other options are the 28-105 or 24-120 VR?

Or with a bit of speed two primes like a 35 nad 85?

Also various others pple say good like the 24-85 AFS is it?

One of my objectives is on travel its gotta be good enof to travel with out tripod when it comes and to be used with the builtin flash.

I've been happy with a 28-200mm lens and nothing else while travelling, before I went digital. With the digital I have the 24-120 VR. Nice lens but can be a bit soft, the 24-85 is said to be sharper in bright light. And the wide end is not quite adequate, so I carry a 15-30 Sigma also. It's a bother to change lenses while travelling so I'm considering the Sigma 18-120 as a travel lens.

Of course a 50mm 1.8 is a nice extra to always keep handy for when the light is just not enough and you must get a shot. Pretty sharp too.

-hash