Japan Nikon in Shinjuku; Attn: Akira.

RaymondC

Since JP used stores don't usually provide prices online in english.

Can someone give me a run down in the used prices of a F100, FM2N and

a 20mm/2.8 AF-D lens?

Which are the better stores to go to for used goods?

Kanpai!

Domo Arigatao Gozaimaister.

I almost forgot, if say I went in person to fix my D70, lets just assume its a big job like a shutter replacement or such, would it be correct that I am a traveller and I have spoken to them on the telephone from outside of JP, they could do a rush job for like like a few days?

Hi, Ray,

As Robert mentioned, Fujiya-Camera is one of the good shops to buy used cameras, but, as some photo.netters mentioned from time to time, Sanpou-Camera is worth checking out, because in many cases it offers the cheapest prices in Tokyo.

Currently Sanpou-Camera offers an F100 for 65,100yen, an FM2N for 35,700yen (black) and 34,650yen (silver) and 20mm/2.8 AF-D for 37,800yen (all used). FWIW, the shop offers brand new F100 for 115,500yen and 20/2.8 for 54,600yen. They don't seem to stock brand new FM2Ns because it has been quite some time since they had been discontinued.

As for the favorable treatment for a traveller, I'm sorry to tell you that the complicated repair like changing shutter unit deoesn't seem to be done quicker than normal. Even for the registered professional photographers the term of repair of that kind won't be shortened so drastically. Having said that, it could be worth trying:-)

Do-Itashimashite! (meaning: you're welcome!)

Akira

Jim, it is very easy at the moment. The US dollar has gone down quite a bit of late. Currently 1 US$ is about 103 Yen. Therefore, simply divide those Japanese prices by 100 and you'll get a rough idea how much they are in US dollar terms, and those prices from Japan don't look very appealing compared to what you can get from B&H.

For example, the F100 is $950 at B&H and there is a $200 rebate to make the final cost to be $750.

Shun,

Thank you for taking time to answer instead of me.

Jim,

The recent exchange rate and how to convert yen into dollars is exactly how Shun has explained. I just gave the price in yen so that photo.netters to convert it into their own currency.

The prices of Nikon gear offered by B&H is not really appealing to me because there are several small shops that offer lower prices than that offered by B&H in terms of camera bodies. For example, some shops offer a brand new D2H for 214,000 yen! The prices of camera bodies offered by Yodobashi (one of Japan's most famous retailers) are not the cheapest because most of large retailers offer rebates in so-called "service poits" which can be used as money at the shops within the same chain. They want to keep their customers!

Sorry this is a bit off topic.

I live in Japan and am shopping for a new D70 or 20D. Yodobashi's prices are

outrageous. B&H and Adorama quote prices that are hundreds of dollars cheaper.

So I'm ordering from them.

A few years ago, I bought an FM3A and several lens, and the prices were comparable

with stores in the U.S. Is this a digital thing? Or is it due to the exchange rate (which

has changed considerably since then)?

I'm perplexed. Of course, I would much rather just go to Yodobashi Shinjuku, which

is only about 20 minutes from my house.

Any thoughts?