17-40 F4L vs 28-75 Tamron Di + 12-24 Sigma

danny lee

Hi All, I currently have the 28-75 tamron 2.8 as a mid range lens to

use on my digi rebel.

I want wider. obviously.

So question for all you with steady hands, should I purchase a wider

lens such as a 12-24 , 15-30, 19-35 in addtion to the tamron or sell

the tamron and get a wide-mid range lens that includes something

wider such as the 17-40 Canon L or Sigma 18-50ex ? and the likes?

would anyone have a lens in particular to suggest? I have no budget

but would like alotta bang for a buck.

Thanks all !

Danny,

Keep the Tamron, aren't you in love with it's 2.8 max aperture? Plus it's relatively cheap you won't get much back for it.

I've got a similar setup, with the Sigma 12-24, the Sigma 20 f/1.8 and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, on a dRebel, all which are tack-sharp, and I'd very much recommend.

There's also the 10-22 from Canon which will fit your rebel, it's new but it's EF-S.

Look at the Sigma prime too (Sigma 20mm f/1.8; for low-light wide angle it can't be beat, plus from 2.8 on, it matches Canon's lens). Only downside is it's big, it's a prime, and it's got no HSM/USM (but for wide angle that is less of a concern). Primes are not as big a deal at the wide angles I've found...

If you get the 12-24, check the lens personally to make sure it's got no soft spots (some have been reported...most may be technique-related but better safe than sorry). See Petteri's great reviews on both of these lenses:

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Reviews/a_Sigma_12-24_f4.5-5.6/a_Sigma_EX_12-24_f4.5-5.6.html

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Reviews/a_Sigma_20_f1-8/a_Sigma_20_mm_f-1.8.html

The 17-40's good, but I skipped it as at f/4 max, is a bit too dark for my liking at the 40mm end.

-cs

Danny, you only have three choices: $700 for 17-40 f4/L; $1400 for 16-35 f2.8/L; $300-$500 for Tamron or Sigma 2.8. Since you're using DRebel, you should stick with Tamron and wait for Tamron 11-18, then you will do the comparison between Tamron and Sigma. I faced the dilemma last year, and Bob was right when not suggesting 17-40 f4/L to DRebel owners. I agree the bottom line is picture. However, you will feel pretty bad when spending a whole bundle of money for lenses on DRebel. The Nikon guys will laught at you. DRebel is very good everywhere but the body. Why do you need metal lenses on a plastic body? Last year my Drebel jumped from my lap to the floor of the bus on the way to Grand Canyon. It had scratches all over places. Good thing is I sold it after I came back to NJ.

<br>

<p>

I'm a beginner in DSLR especailly in digital, but take my advice. Keep your 28-75 and wait for 11-18. When choosing to buy Tamron or Sigma, don't plan to sell them since you'll loose more money than selling a Canon lens. I bought both 17-40 and 28-75 becasue I can't stand with the size of Canon 2.8s. They are huge and heavy. They're for professional, not for us.

<br>

<p>

I spent a lot of time recently in local camera stores to try different lenses. Sigma lenses are better built than Tamron but as heavy as Canon. The focus is slow. More importantly, the compatibility could be an issue. Tamron lenses are lighter and smaller. I don't know much about the optic but I don't think you will notice becasue you don't have the other lense to compare every time you take a picture.

<br>

<p>

I'll keep my 17-40 and 28-75. and I'd buy the 11-18 in 2-3 months unless it has a bad report.

I just got the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 and love it! I am using it on a D60 and haven't shot too much yet but it seems to be very sharp and definitely covers the range I was lacking since switching to digital. I have a 15mm, 24mm, 28-80 USM, and it seems as sharp as all these Canon lenses in my early tests. Very quiet focus but does search in low light.

I wonder if its worth waiting for the Tamron 18~200 to be released I hear it is built specifically for APS-C cameras. Although I`m a bit sceptical of such a large range.Do you need wide or super wide my 15~30 has been a great work horse but only equals 24mm wide suits me, now the 17~40 is like a std zoom so might be the replacement for it.

Philip what're you talking about?

"However, you will feel pretty bad when spending a whole bundle of money for lenses on DRebel. The Nikon guys will laught at you. DRebel is very good everywhere but the body."

That doesn't even make sense, it's the lenses that make the picture, and the Rebel's sensor is more than enough (it's a 10D sensor) to make exceedingly sharp prints.

"Why would you want a metal lens on a plastic body"?

HUH?

Totally missing your point here. What's the camera casing got anything to do with how the final picture comes out?

I would absolutely recommend buying good glass for a Rebel owner; a Rebel with good lenses on it and a good hand behind the wheel is more than capable of very large prints and superb photography.

-cs

Why would the Nikon guys laugh at anything? Any accomplished photog knows it's lenses that matter baby.

The joke's more on the newbie who blew the money on a 20D and then hoisted a cheapo consumer zoom lens on it than a Rebel owner with a box of good primes or L zooms.

Also, Philip's choices aren't the only ones available. For wides, really evaluate the primes out there. It's been my experience having both wide primes and wide zooms (ala Petteri), that primes at the wide focal length are quite more adaptable to recomposition than primes may be at the longer focal lenghts.

If you are on a budget and want max sharpness, you'll find there's a bit of Zen to using primes...It's pretty liberating as they pretty much guarantee sharpness and free you from worrying about zooming in and out to get good composition (some of my best pics are with primes, it just takes a bit of a mental shift to undo the urge to fiddle around with zooming in and out).

-cs

Carlos, It's your choice to buy a DRebel to match with the Canon 70-200 f2.8/L IS. You absolutely have a good point of investing money in the lenses but not the bodies. Regardless the recent triple rebate, why do you want to save $200 to buy the DRebel instead of 10D? A good set of 2.8L lenses such as 16-32, 24-70, and 70-200 IS will cost you $4,100 plus filters. Is it worth to save $200 not to buy the 10D? You don't care about the look. Many people do. Would you buy a Porch unpainted?

Well, couple reasons why get a Rebel over a 10D:

1) You can hack the Rebel/300D and make it essentially a 10D, you'll lose the 2nd curtain sync and some of the AF mode selection, but it'll be much lighter and easier to carry.

2) The 300D can use EF-S lenses without you having to shave down the mount.

10D beats the Rebel in the metal body, and in 2nd curtain sync, and maybe some of the controls are a bit nicer. Other than that if you're a savvy user you can get a lot of mileage out of the Rebel.

3) 10D is not easy to find new these days, where Rebel is. The way people shoot with digitals, it's easy to get close to the 40K shutter limit on the camera. I've run about 12K shots in probably a year or so of owning the machine. A 10D used is a dodgy proposition, as most of the buyers for those in those days were likely pro buyers or advanced amateurs.

4) A new Rebel will have a warranty that's by definition longer than a used 10D.

It's not as simple as Porsche vs Ford. Both are outstanding machines, and it's hard for me to see a difference in them other than the body.

I recommend in general against folks purchasing cameras based on their looks, they should buy based on the machines' capabilities and their own needs; the 300D is a very capable machine if you do a serious analysis of it and compare against your needs. Also, cameras are merely work tools, not fashion statements.

-cs

Phillip: I got the digital rebel because it is 95% function of a 10D at 40% of the price after rebate. It cost me less than 400 dollars. a new 10D was 1150 at the time. PLUS the rebel has infrared remote, and the battery grip costs way less. and at the end, it's the picture that matters and there is virtually no difference if I used a 10D or a Digital rebel.

Carlos, I totally agree that we don't want to buy a good camera with consumer lenses, just as buying the Denon AVR-5805 with a pair of Kenwood speakers. Moreover, glasses retain their values but digital bodies depreciate quickly over a few years. Camera is just a tool, and so are glasses. Again, this is all about personal taste. Pictures are like sounds. It's a matter of of preference to choose between B&W and Polk Audio. Go out buy one and stick with it.

<br>

<p>

Danny, You have made your excellent choice at the right time utelizing the advantage of triple rebate. From October 1st 2004 to January 31th 2005, 10D had no way to compare with DRebel. My suggest to you was based on my experience and feeling when owning the DRebel last year. Canon 17-40 f4/L is an excellent lense yet not fast enough in low light. If you sell your Tamron, you'll miss it. I read every messages you posted here. With your DRebel, I would suggest the following combination:

<br>

<p>

Canon lenses: 17-40 f4/L, 50 1.8 or 1.4, 70-200 f4/L. Keep your Tamron for indoor or one lens shooting. You cannot sell it for more than $250 cash back. Well, you could sell it for a Canon TC 1.4X though.

Anything from 28mm and up is nicely covered. Thus I'd opt for the Canon 10-22 if it's not too expensive or the cheaper Tamron 11-18 or Tokina 12-24, when they reach the market. The Sigma 12-24 is currently available but I read quite a few posts on QC issues, not to mention the possible incompatibility problems Sigma is (was?) so infamous for.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.