Manual focusing with the istD or DS

jamiew

I am considering moving over to the Canon system since there is more

compatability with manual focus lenses. I have always been

concerned about not having a focusing aid for critical focusing

(like a split screen finder). Any comments on this would be welcome.

Jamie,

The Canon digital SLRs have zero compatability with their non-autofocus lenses. Only Nikon and Pentax have compatability with pre-autofocus lenses, with Pentax having the most backwards-compatability. None of those systems will have something like a split-screen finder available in the consumer range, although it is no doubt possible to hack one together yourself (search for the thread where someone modified a screen to fit in a 10D).

Or were you just trolling?

Jordan R. Urie

Some Canon autofocus lenses allow for manual control. Inexpensive adapters allow for

manual focus lenses -- from Nikon, Canon FD, Leica, etc -- to be used on EOS bodies

as well.

That said, the clear bright screen of autofocus cameras (needed for autofocus to work

best) usually results in poor manual focus control, regardless of camera brand.

haha I just re-read my post and it's amazing how much a difference one mis-typed word can make. I meant to say "I am considering moving over FROM the Canon system" and not "I am considering moving over to the Canon system".

Anyways. The point of my post is that focusing MF lenses on my Canon sucks unless I stop down the lens a few notches and let the increased DOF compensate. I need more accurate manual focus, and I was hoping that Pentax produced a split image finder for the *istD or *istDS (I checked their product page and it sayd they offer one, but I can not find it anywhere). If they do then I would switch to Pentax in a heartbeat.

p.s. - Re. NIkon, it's amazing but my Canon 10D is actually MORE compatable with MF Nikon lenses then my friend's NIkon D70. The 10D retains stop down metering while the D70 has NO metering. All my MF gear is Nikon and other than critical focusing works great on the 10D.

I'm a Pentax user (with lots of manual focus lenses) and just bought a *istDs. Sorry but no split-image screen. Some misinterpretation of the "split field matte screen" gave rise to rumors of a split image viewfinder but there is none. You have three screens: classic AF matte screen, split field screen (gold-section grid) and scaled screen.

Nevertheless, the viewfinder is clear and bright with a high magnification (x0.95) and that really helps in manual focusing at wide aperture. IMHO the best in its class (D70, EOS300D, E300 and even 10D/20D), only the Minolta D7D has a better one (more or less the same magnification (x0.9) but brighter) from quick tests at my local photo shop.

I find manually focusing on the istD difficult, and that's with fast glass (<f2). Granted, I wear glasses and am used to focusing with the big/bright screens of the old Pentax manual cameras. But I still find manual focusing on the MZ-5n/MZ-S (which have matte screens) easier with my lenses than on the istD. I've only picked up a 10D/20D briefly, so cannot compare the two meaningfully. Ironically though, I've thought about picking up a 20D, partly because I'm hoping the AF on the Canon will be better than the Pentax (which I've had trouble with as well).

Laurent.

These "rumors" of a split image viewfinder are based ONLY on Pentax's own press release (not to mention product specs on their USA website). A quote "Enjoy the versatility of an interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen. AF Split-Image Matte and AF Divided Matte screens available as optional accessories."

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_features?reqID=3&subsection=digital_slr

Now maybe Pentax means a divided field viewfinder, but they also offer an AF split-image screen for the 645 system that is a true split image screen. So it should not just be misunderstanding of terminology.

Personally I think Pentax has made two REALLY stupid mistakes with their digital cameras.

No true split-image screen (while I chastize Pentax for advertising they have one, I am aware they do not actually offer one).

No aperature coupling for 100% compatability with all K mount lenses.

Quite frankly, without those two items items, the Pentax really offers no additional functionality over a Nikon or Canon DSLR except for size (barring personal preference). This concerns me greatly since I love the Pentax system.

Now I realize that for someone with Pentax lenses this is the camera to buy but since I sold my Pentax system to go with Canon (needed a DSLR and Pentax offered none at the time) there just isn't a lot to attract me back without 100% K mount compatability. If I want to live with stop down metering I can get adapters for just about any mount that work with my Canon.

Concerning compatibility with K-mount equipment, I could not agree more. Nevertheless, it's actually working OK. It's not stopped down mettering the way I thought it was: I thought the diaphragm would stay closed to get the correct exposure. It's actually like using exposure lock (wich I do anyway). Just push the AE lock button, the diaph closes briefly and you're done (in M mode). It really looks like something an engineer would do to salvage a bad mistake!

CEO: Darn it! Why did you drop K-mount mettering capability on our new digital body!!? Look how many letters I've received!! You know I hate to read letters from dissatisfied customers switching to Canon!!

Engineer: ... eeerrr! Well let me see, eerrrrr (seiing one's paycheck fly through the window allows for faster thinking...) , we could maybe use the AE lock button to do stopped down mettering (like in the good ol'days)...

CEO: How much would that cost?

Engineer: Almost nothing! (Shivering and sweating)

CEO:... Ow, OK then! Good job!! (Goes back to smoking his cigar...)

Good, useable for manual focusing, viewfinders are only found on the pro level DSLRs. If you want to use your MF Nikon lenses try a D1X, or a D2 series body. With those bodies your lenses will also meter properly. With the Canon pro bodies you can even get a screen with a split image rangefinder. The only issue with Canon is that the lenses in MF do not have the same focus feel of good MF lenses.

Bruce.

You mention using Canon lenses in MF. Since this thread is about using true MF lenses on DSLR's Canon lenses really do not apply. Other than some speciality lenses, Canon really has no true MF lenses in the EOS lens mount. Again in a weird Canon twist, pretty much the only 35mm mount that you can not get a EOS adapter for is... the Canon FD mount.

I am also aware that the Nikon D series cameras have aperature couplings for the MF lenses. I chastize Nikon just as much as Canon for not including this on ALL DSLR cameras. It can not cost more than $100/ camera to include this. Considering the price of DSLR this is chump change.

Laurent.

I have a question for you re. using exposure lock on old manual only lenses (KM mount). What device on a camera's lens mount that does not have an aperature coupling allow for closing down the diaph to take the meter reading. Isnt that exactly the purpose of the aperature coupling?

• 2 weeks later...