and a 50mm f1.7 (lowlight) a 50mm f2.9 (macro) and a 24-105mm f3.5-

4.5 workhorse.My film "portfolio" is as follows :-

FILM - Fuji Superia 200 , Fuji Superia Extra 400,Kodak High

Definition 200,Agfa Ultra 100,Kodak Gold 200 (expired this Jan but

got at less than 50p a roll which I use for experimental/test/general

purposes)

SLIDE - Agfa CT Precisa 100,Fuji Velvia 50

I look forward to your comments.

I'd suggest you take the 400 in case the weather sucks, the 100 slide film in case it doesn't, and the 200 in case you want to waste some film. I'd avoid velvia unless you're going to be using a tripod. On top of that, you might consider some B&W film. The weather in Prague is not particularly weird.

IMHO Fuji Superia 200 is the best amateur print film around.

Another option for print film is Kodak Supra 200. It's a pro film so costs a little more but is my favourite print film.

Is Agfa Ultra the pro film? If it's the one I think it is really good also, great colour saturation.

Have you used Velvia before?If not then maybe go for Sensia. I've found that if you're new to it, despite its lovely colour saturation, Velvia can be unforgiving in contrasting situations, particularly a scene with shadows.Great once you're used to it though.

Cheers

Bevan

Just seems to me that 200 speed print film is a giant waste of time. The 400 speed print films are SO good, that I see no advantage to the 200 ones. I would just go with 100 and 400 and perhaps some 800 speed Fuji for poor lighting days. I always treat 200 speed print film as a bastard stepchild...seems that film companies ignore that market all too much with the tech advances.

As for lenses - not sure what the advantage is in taking a 50mm 1.4 and the 50mm macro, unless you definitely plan on doing a lot of macro work. I never missed my macro lens while in Prague last summer, but then again I was shooting people and cityscapes more than flowers. To me, a 50mm macro offeres way too little working distance to make it an integral part of my kit.

Not much to argue with over your choice of slide film, keeping in mind that Velvia yields wierd results if shooting people. Only thing I might add is that I might carry a Provia 100 since it pushes so well to 200. I am unfamiliar with the Agfa 100, so I can't comment on if it pushes well, but you should think about the ability to shoot transparencies at greater than ISO 100 - hence my suggestion for Provia 100. I have pushed that film to 400 (+2) with pretty amazing results.

Actually, that reminds me of another recommendation - if you do need to push film, be sure to have a Sharpie" marker with you to mark which rolls are pushed and how far.

You are gonna love Prague. If you have the time, be sure to get down south to Ceske Budejovitz and Ceske Krumwol. Fabulous places for photography, not to mention the "real" Budweiser" beer.

Hi Bill! Can I ask why you're taking slide film; what are your intentions for the shots you take? Myself, I was stuck in the rut of repeating the slides-are-best mantra without assessing what I really needed - film that would scan well with some of the scans being then transferred back into real world and printed digitally back onto photographic paper. I favour Fuji Reala and HP5+ for travel; of course slide film can be pushed and I have done this in the past....I've recently become a fan of Fujipress 800 for dark situations. I'd leave the macro lens at home, relying on the (assumed) close focus of the 50mm to pick out details...have you considered an extension tube <i>(yea gods what a phrase)</i> as it'd be a bit less weight to carry about? <p>I've started to carry a small digi P&S around with me at the same time as the film stuff (Contax G1) to get snaps that can be stuck on the web easily.<p>Enough babbling: here's some of my <a href="http://www.pbase.com/ipenning/prague">pics of Prague</a>.

I'll disagree with you there Eic on 200 ISO print film.

Basically with the improved technology films like Kodak Supra have IMHO eliminated the need for 100 ISO print film. I've used the very popular Reala and consider Supra much better. It's punchier with the colours and doesn't have any issues with grain. Basically it does everything a vrey good 100 film use to do but is obviously a faster film.

I second Ian's praise of Fujipress 800. It is remarkably grainless for an 800 film and renders good colours.

My 0.02 worth

Cheers

Bevan

Thank you all very much for your valuable input.I posted this on the film & processing forum as well as not sure which was the ideal one.The detailed points are covered there.Basically I am going with 400 and 100 (maybe 200) colour negative with some slides,after all there is always a mid-roll facility.

Eric - thank you specifically for the links and I drink Budvar Budweiser whenever it is available here - it is the best !

As regards taking a macro, the reasoning is that often a small wall tile a plaque a small element of a building/wall/railing can say something about a site or city.Macro sharpness is useful here and I can always try and persuade my wife to carry some of the kit.

A small digital p&s has just joined my kit with just this in mind.It is a Minolta Dimage Xt - wery small ,very smooth and very light.Thanks for the pics - an excellent appetiser.

Thanks again to all.

Bill,

I've photgraphed on several occasions in Prague and would suggest some Black & White film - the old architecture looks fantastic in b+w. I found my best results were with medium format and a tripod and more importantly with a real early morning - before the endless crowds appeared.

Fantastic city - don't miss "Buffalo Bills" for the best Texmex in central Europe. Enjoy.

Iain<div>00BBSw-21914784.jpg.992f880b97cfae9046e9f68022f0bb47.jpg</div>

Leave the macro at home and bring a decent 28 instead! Bring a cheap monopod and a cheap tripod in case you get a chance to use either one. If you don't project slides, forget slide film. If you don't plan to get enlargements over 8x12 or are doing this primarily for web shots, then forget films under 400ASA. If web-only and and no serious enlargements planned, then I'd bring only 400ASA and 800 ASA print films (NPH/UC400 and NPZ). The NPZ I would always rate at 1000 and have it pushed 1 stop on returning home.

Also, consider a digital P&S.

Have a nice trip!

• 4 weeks later...

if there is any city that loves B & W then it's Prague,you will love this magical place,there is simply no ohter place like Prague ,

Prague has it all,ancient history,modern infrastructure,beautiful women,great beer and much more,

when it comes to lenses,get something wide and a zoom for those art works on churches and rooftops,

my basic travel glass is Tamron 24 - 135 AF,very sharp and it won't break your bank account