G2 better than the D60 for low light?

jim_payette

Are you taking available light or with flash? JPEG or RAW? Although not a direct comparison, I found that the G5 images looked great when shot in JPEG as resized to 800x600 when compared to those from the 20D. However, when shooting RAW with a 11x14 or 12x18 being the final goal, I get better material to work with from the 20D than the G5.

<< All things being equal the G2 makes nice bright pictures in low light when the D60 does not. >>

Bright pictures on what? Prints? Monitor? Cameras LCD?

The ISO rating on Canon digital point and shoots does appear to be agressive. This has been known for some time. See dpreview.com reviews for this. They've started noting "listed" ISO and "acutal" ISO for many of the cameras they see.

But the difference has never been more than 1 stop, usually a third or two thirds of a stop.

iso50 on the G2 is not iso50, more like iso100. The iso100 on the Canon DSLR's is more correct. All Canon digicams have this problem, you have to multiply the iso settings by 2 to get the real setting. Check it against your light meter if you have one.

KIN what you said seems about right in my situation. The G2 is at least one stop brighter. Also adding to the problem all things were not equal. The display on the G2 is brighter than on my D60. When compared the images on my computer screen they were closer.I guess it's time to read the manual and see about screen brightness.Thanks for everyones help.

Hm, with my G2 and D60 things couldn't be less equal.

Fujipress 800 and the Planar 45 is pretty good for low light and Delta3200 is good enough for available darkness.

Fujipress carefully exposed is better than the D60 at ISO800 but with the help of Noise Ninja the D60 comes close.

OTOH it is not fair to compare a CZ Planar to a Sigma 17-35 :-)