the 6X12 back. (Although looking around, this back is attributed to

Shen-Hao in other posts).

The back attaches via a Graflok 4x5 back and weighs about the same as

the Wista/Horseman 6X9 backs. It is made up of nicely machined metal

with rubber and felt light seals and a removable metal dark slide. It

comes with a default opening of 6X12 (56X114mm) with masks for 6x9

(56X86mm) 6x6 (56x60mm) and 645 (6x45mm). The masks are attached on

the lens side of the holder by four small machine screws. (take a

small jeweler?s screwdriver with you into the field to change masks)

The roll film holder is held in place by two spring steel bands which

compress onto two protruding lugs on the roll film part of the holder.

The film is loaded into the holder with the help of a spring loaded

retractable bottom bracket. The film is advanced by a knob rather

than by a leaver. There is a large spring loaded pressure plate

(75x120mm) to keep the film flat and rollers at each end at the bend

near the film spools. On the half of the holder, immediately next to

the dark slide, there are two pin rollers like the kind on later

Graflex RH-8 holders to facilitate the film transport.

The Dark slide moves in a recessed track and pulls in and out smoothly.

Running film through the holder with the dark slide removed, I found

that the film is held very flat. The film advance is manual and the

frame number is indicated in the window in the back of the holder. One

can observe the frame numbers as printed on the back of 120 film

(precluding 220 film). By advancing the film on alternating frames,

i.e., 1,3,5,7, etc., on either the 6x12 or the 6x9 windows proper

frame spacing can be maintained quite easily.

In summary, the quality of construction was far above what I was

expecting for the low price (US$248). I'm able to get into 6x12 using

my 4x5 with roll film without having to have a 6x9 and a separate 6x12

back. I'll post an update after a bit of use to see how it holds up.

I've had one for a month and I think it will hold up nicely. I would have been happier if it

had a SLIGHTLY more advanced Clasp to hold it shut, but it works fine.

Most importantly, the Film seems to be held in place very well and the viewing window on

the back insures that your Film spacing will be correct.

jmp

It is all translation and the difference in Chinese and English both as a language and business custom.

The proper English translation of all the charaters in the company name as it appears on the back read: "Shanghai Great Art Professional camera company limited".

Due to the largeness of the country most company name add the city where the company is located to avoid confusion, there for the Shanghai in front of Great Art.

For someone who miss this small business name detail the company name was translated in to Shen Hao (Shenghai) each syllable=character, instead of Da Yi (Great Art)

Shen Hoa and Da Yi is the same company in China located in Shanghai making professional camera equipment

<i>"The masks are attached on the lens side of the holder by four small machine screws. (take a small jeweler?s screwdriver with you into the field to change masks)"</i>

<P>

Not entirely true. The masks <i>are</i> held in place with the above-mentioned screws. However, a screwdriver is not necessary to attach or remove the mask. The masks have slotted holes which fit over the screws and then lock into place.

<P>

The only problem I have with my DAYI back is that the masks are not directly up against the film plane. This means that, in a masked format (6x9 and smaller) if you accidentally pull out the darkslide and the shutter is open (for composing for example) you can fog not only the current frame, but the edges of the frames before and after it. This can be exceedingly annoying, but careful following of procedure (i.e. close shutter before attaching rollfilm back) can reduce the frequency of this mistake.

• 1 year later...

I just received my 6x12 back this morning. It looks to be be very well made, although of

course I haven't had a chance to use it yet! Mine came with the 6x12, 6x6 and 6x4.5

masks. I will be using it on a Linhof Technika IV. One thing does immediately strike me: As

the rollfilm holder is attached via a Graflok back I will either have to remove the

groundglass from the Graflok, or buy another back minus the glass. Now, the Linhof also

has the sliding locks for attaching Rollex rollfilm adapters (according to the Linhof

manual). These are the two silver tabs marked "off" on the back of the Linhof. I cannot

recall seeing a Rollex filmholder but obviously these locks engage in a matching slot. My

suggestion is: Why not have these slots on the Da Yi Holder? Then there would be no need

for another Graflok back. I don't know whether these tabs feature on other makes but at

least us Linhof users would benefit!

• 3 years later...
<p>I just found this as i was trolling to see what they are now worth as I am selling mine. I never had a problem with it, but I cant remember if I ever used the masks. the only disadvantage was that it made the kit so much heavier. Two years ago i went to Java with this kit and climbing volcanoes with all this stuff - well I'd just as soon carry a few LF light darks. I am keeping my Graflex but the MF stuff is going, I'm getting too old! </p>