in landscape photography and so AF speed, or performance wide open is

not an issue. I know that the 75-300 is better built, but again I am

not a pro user who is likely to abuse his gear much. A used 300 f4.5

is very tempting, but I am afraid because of the weight I shall never

take it anywhere. Also it is nice to have a zoom. It will be great

if anybody who has experience with these lenses can give me some

feedback. Thanks-

Chiranjeeb

I've owned all three of the lenses you mention, and discarded the newer 70-300 after picking up the older 75-300. AF speed difference is negligible in my opinion, build quality leaps better in the 75-300, and optics a little better (a little is enough to sway me). As for the 300mm f4 prime, it's not that heavy - and I love that lens. Adore it. It fits in both my backpack camera bag and shoulder bag without issue, and is very highly rated for its sharpness. If you are only looking for the reach, spend $300 on the used prime - it's only $100 more than the used zoom. I got mine at keh.com

I like the 75-300 for the *much* better build quality and tripod collar alone. Having the tripod balance on the lens versus the camera body is for me a much better setup, and I also don't really handhold long telephotos. Some feel that the 75-300 has an edge in image quality. I've never done any sort of comparison along these lines.

I have the older 75-300 and it has served me well. I now have the 75-200 F 2.8 VR and

the Nikon 2x teleconverter. I love this combo, but it is a monster. On our cruise to alaska

last year I took someone's advice and packed light. It was a family cruise (read lots of

uncles, cousins and in-laws), so most of my photo ops were going to be of the snapshot

variety. I brought the 75-300, the 12-24 and my 28 - 75 Tokina. ALong with my flash,

this all fit nicely in a Lowepro mini trekker back pack. I dont regret leaving the bigger lens

home at all. I cant really compare the 70-300 as I've never used it.