TIFF or JPEG

Hello,

This is my first time scanning my slides onto a CD through A and I

and I was hoping to find out if I should have them as a TIFF format

or JPEG, are there any pros or cons? Will the file type affect what

I can do with them? What is the best for overall viewing quality?

Thanks,

Jason

Use both. Save the original as a TIFF at whatever resolution you use and then set to read-only. That way you always have the original, which can't be altered unless you want to make changes. Then when you have enough, save them to a CD.

Then for Web viewing or for taking to a photo shop, resize to the correct DPI and save as a JPG.

You can't display a TIFF in a Web browser without some type of plug-in. However, TIFF will give you the best quality image.

For Web display, JPG makes sense because it's compressable. It uses "lossy" compression, which means you do lose quality. TIFF is "loss-less" compression.

And for Web display, aim for a maximum file size of 80k-120k. If it takes forever for someone to download the photo, then the "fun" factor will be very low.

Burn whatever you shoot to a CD without any image adjustment whatsoever. In 10 years maybe there will be a way to get the perfect image out of the unedited originals. I saved all my overexposed negatives then one day someone invented an inexpensive negative scanner and I recovered my work!