Bronica GS-1 back issue

alex_z

Recently bought on Ebay a spare 6x7 back for my GS-1.

Yesterday it arrived, and checking it out I reveal several issues

(even prior to actual shooting with one):

1. The ISO/ASA wheel is extremely stiff. Pushing the release (middle)

knob down, the ISO wheel cannot be turned until applying much force,

almost breaking my nails !

2. The exp. comp. dial is also quite stiff, although to somewhat

lesser degree then the ISO wheel. Releasing exp. comp. lock the wheel

can be turned but also with excessive force applied.

I compared its operation with my current back with has smooth

movements of the wheels - the difference is huge.

Question: what can cause such stiffness ? Can it be easily fixed (or

probaly excersized enough times to make it moving smoothly) or it

would be better just to leave it as is and talk to the seller into

back return for the refund ?

Thanks in advance, Alex

One of my GS-1 backs that I bought used also was very stiff when it arrived, but working it a number of times returned it to "normal" operation. The main concern I would have is that the two controls may not be functioning -- not affecting the calculated exposure. You can check this easily by setting up the camera facing a fixed scene and rotating each dial to see whether the resulting exposures calculated by the AE prism meter reflect the changes you've made in the settings.

If working each dial for 30 minutes or so doesn't result in easier movement, however, I would still consider getting a refund -- there may some sort of corrosion in the works.

Thanks Richard.

The ISO and exp. comp. do seem to respond properly (camera adjusts the exposure accordingly.

I'll try to play with the dials as you suggested to see whether this can be treated as you mentioned, if it will keep stiff, I'll contact the seller to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Richard, just got seller's response.

He said he never ran into the problem of dials operation while working with the back, however that might be resulted by his shooting stile, i.e. he never used them because of always metering and shooting manually, which means he might not be aware about this issue describing back's condition in the Ebay auction. Besides of that, mechanically it seems to work fine and camera's metering responds to dials (ISO and exp. comp.), albeti have yet conducted an in-depth checkout for correct exp. shift by the back dials on each setting (will do that tomorrow).

Moreover, seller understood me having problem with that and offered to resolve the issue by partial refund (i.e. about 40% of the price paid by me) and back stays with me.

I think if my checkout will prove its accurate electrical operation, I will accept his offer, and will work on the dials to have them released.

What do you think ?

Bite the bullet, ask to cancel deak and ask for a refund. Be honest, tell him you're not happy. this back is suppose to be a precision instrument. If this was a store, you'd take it back to the store, wouldn't you. The guy may 'seem' nice, but if he was really a nice guy, he would have offered a full refund in his firts response email.

I personally think he's trying to "stiff" you.

This back has problems and you don't need them.

I think these film backs maybe problematic: I own two of them (one bought on ebay, the

other new) and while the exposure wheels on both move smoothly, I get inconsistent

spacing between frames on at least one of them. One of them will skip frames

occasionally also, when I'm switching between backs in the field. I don't know if this is the

same back or not, as I don't use the camera enough to have investigated. But if I had this

problem out of the box, I would get my money back, even though I use a Sekonic L-608

meter and would never notice this particular problem, because if it has this problem, it

might have others that won't show up right away. If you use the AE Prism for

metering, don't wait to send it back, it's not worth the grief. I hope a full refund is an

option for you at this point.

Dave: Older film backs of any brand inevitably show the problem of uneven spacing between frames. That's one sign that they need to be CLA'd -- not that you'd want to find this with a back you just purchased, of course.

Alex: If you plan to use the back for you own shooting (personal vs. commercial shoots), and the dials seem to get a bit looser as you work them and the readings are accurate, I'd keep the back. You've got it at 60% of whatever price you negotiated. If you plan to use it for commercial shoots, I'd return it -- it's not worth the aggravation and potential risk.