New Summilux 50/ 1,4 proved

Hello,

I`d like to point out that in my opinion the summilux 50mm ASPH is a fantastic lens. It gives stunning sharpness, wonderful colour reproduction and some sort of "clearness" in the picture that is pretty amazing. The images that it reproducts are not flat at all.

I think it is not a "cold" lens, may call it analytic.....

Greetings from icecold Germany!

Dirk Judith

I agree with Wayne, the latest APSH lenses are extremely well corrected for flatness of field. I find that they appear to have greater depth of field because almost everything in the image is equally sharp, and well defined. This is most noticeable in the wider angle lenses of course, however my 35 ASPH cron seems to have more depth of field than any other 35 I have used.

David,

<P>

>my 35 ASPH cron seems to have more depth of field than any other 35 I have used.

<p>

Actually I've found that the 35 ASPH throws the background out of focus more rapidly than my V4 cron at wider apertures. Take a <a href="http://www.jimarnold.net/galleries/leica_35_test/">look at some test images</a> I made. The last set comparing f2.8 and f8 for both lenses is interesting.

<P>

There was a post a while back from Andy Piper what showed the same results when he tested an asph versus a cron.

Interesting results Jim, I did previously own the Ver.4 but didn't ever have both lenses together for a direct comparison.

Probably what I am seeing is just a general edge to edge sharpness with the ASPH.

I now have a Ver.1 cron as well, so should do a similar comparison just for interest.