Using 20D as a scanner for Minox negatives

henry_minsky1

I found a pile of Minox negatives (8x11 mm) that I want to digitize. I

was looking at slide scanners like the Minolta Dual IV, which is about

$300. But then I was wondering if I could get decent quality

conversions using my Canon 20D somehow. Can anyone suggest the best

setup for imaging this size of negative? Maybe a macro lens imaging

the negatives on a light table? Or some kind of projection system ?

You'd need a macro lens with a flat field of view, like the 50mm 2.5 macro, then the life size converter, then a light table/camera stand set up. When you've done that you'll end up with a lower resolution file than can be had from a decent quality scanner.

My wife recently 'inherited' a load of slides, I bought a second hand Minolta Dual III (at the auction site) which I plan to sell once finished with the project, at the auction site.

The lens, converter etc will cost more than a good used scanner, so unless you're planning to start macro shooting, the scanner's a better bet IMO.

You could put them in slide mounts, mask and use a cheap slide copier. Although a

dedicated film scanner will be better, you'll still have to mount and mask the negs (or

make a custom holder).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"lower resolution file than can be had from a decent quality scanner"

That's true for 24x36, but not 8x11: the Minolta is 5400 dpi, which is 212 dots/mm. That gives a 1700 x 2300 pixel image from the 8x11mm frame. If you set up a slightly under 2x macro with the 20D (15x23mm frame), then you could get 2200 x 3000 pixels.

Hmm. You'd need a macro lens with reasonably flat field at 2x. Since most macro lenses are optimized for 1x, this may be problematic. At 1x (easy with a slide copier attachment), that's 1100 x 1500 or so pixels. That may be plenty of resolution, depending on the quality of the originals.