Models & Facial expressions

andrew_carlson

EWWWW! I never suspected I'd elict these responses! That'll make me think twice before posting a question. I understand that my body language can or will affect a model's response which will be challenging. Though you all have given me much to think about I agree that my 1st real "model shoot" wasn't. But I don't think I was at fault so much as she just looks like everyone else. I appreciate all of the responses - here is an image from the shoot - notice the lack of enthusiasm on her face?<div>00AyWL-21649684.jpg.1e818da932be150f958ecdb7b18d4142.jpg</div>

I think aspiring models watch too much tv and dont know much about modeling. They

dont realize that it's a lot of work and take a lot of experience to be a "pro" at what they

do.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had aspiring models look like they took Pepto-Bismal before

the shoot. I've also worked with very experienced models that it only took us 20 mins to

get the shot (my favorite kind to work with). They knew how to move, how to stand, look,

smile, when to not smile .. it's great when you can work with an experienced model :)

<p><i>EWWWW! I never suspected I'd elict these responses!</i>

<p>That's a strange sentiment considering the venue. Oh well. Sorry for responding, in that case. <shrug>

<p><i>But I don't think I was at fault so much as she just looks like everyone else.</i>

<p>Try not to think in terms of "fault." If you had underexposed the photo, then that would have been your fault. Exposure is a technical issue, there are firm criteria for evaluating success or failure, there are straightfoward mechanical methods of controlling exposure that a photographer can be expected to have mastered, and the other people in the studio aren't likely to interfere with you spinning the dials.

<p>But who among us is expected to have mastered working with other people? What is the simple adjustment that the photographer can make that changes a shoot from failing to succeeding? The answer is that none of us have mastered the art of dealing with people - surely even the best among us can still improve our people skills, and surely not even the very best work well with every single person they meet. And there is no simple switch that you can throw during a bad session that makes all further model-photographer interaction OK. It is a complex phenomenon in which a given technique that works well with one person may fall flat for (or even be offensive to) another person.

<p>Yes, plenty of models suck. Some probably do watch too much TV and don't understand how to do the job. But I think it is a lot more productive, and conducive to future success, to post-mortem the session than to assign blame. There's no need to think any further about it if you blame someone else. But if you don't, you can look at the session from all kinds of different perspectives and think up strategies to use the next time you shoot a model who is in danger of flopping. That's presumably how the hand puppets got started, and the more mundane techniques of explaining why a different facial expression is better. If all these photographers just said "the model sucks" and left it at that, they probably wouldn't be getting good pictures of most models.

:-) Jeff, sorry - I was thinking about the humor and creativity everyone offered and thought it would be funny - ya live and learn, my appologies. As for fault/blame - You're right and I wondered about putting that word in there for some time, but once done - once you hit submit its over. Too late...guess thats my fault? :-|

Its very tough for me to categorize or "post mortem" the shoot as its my first time, I'll be the first to suggest I don't know what I'm doing but I still enjoyed the day and I think made the best of the situation.

As others have mentioned, I am starting to understand that this concept of photographing people, be it for publication, art/fashion, what ever medium is a lot of work. For me I am doing this for fun, learning, education and some TFP/TFCD. I've taken 2 sessions, one with a co-worker and another with a woman I met on musecube. Both sessions turned out quite differently and to some degree I'm just another GWC. This isn't a day at the beach as some marketing type would have us believe. Yet I still enjoy it and want to do more, learn more, try more things. I drool over posts about AB lights daily but cannot justify the expense...one light at a time is about all I can do.

Is it fault or should someone be blamed? No. It was a poor choice of words. She was a very nice lady and out of the couple hundred shots I took, several of them, maybe 15%-20% turned out pretty good, about 125 are acceptable but I noticed that the corners of her mouth were almost always turned down. That was the scowl I was referring to and I could have done something about it. I would say 3-5 of them were phenominal shots - where she wasn't scowling but smiling or more comfortable. Plus she is very happy with the shots, I'm just being overly critical of my own work. Its better than average for me and I may even go buy a sock puppet and whoopie cushion - (but how do I explain my need for that?)

This is hard stuff to do, the camera tech stuff is easy compared to conveying a concept to someone especially when I may not fully understand my concepts. Hell I can't convey an idea of humor on a board like this very well...But I will keep trying, keep working at it, and enjoy it and try to make the best of every situation I get. They are few and far between as it is. I appreciate everyones replys and comments - they are quite helpful and educational.

• 5 years later...