df

My 20D won't download pictures to my computer. Canon Technical

Support originally claimed this was MS/Windows Image Acquistion

problem. I hired a MS/Windows certified techician who found

otherwise. Together we again contacted Canon Technical Support and

after testing with 2 different computers Canon agreed the problem

was with either the USB port or Canon supplied USB cable. I am

sending my 20D to Canon to repair.

Has Anyone else had a problem with their 20D USB port?

I also have never tried the USB port on my 20D. Taking a 1G card out and putting it into a PCMCIA card reader in my laptop is the fastest way I have found to read the data. I don't really want to mess with a cable.

Supposedly USB 2.0 can do something like 50 megabytes per second, so in theory you could download an entire 1G card in 20 seconds, but I somehow doubt the camera or the OS are going to go that speed. I just haven't had the need to mess with directly connecting the camera, and to tell the truth I don't really want to electrically couple my camera to a computer, there is the potential for something to short out.

I have had the same problem. I will try the card reader and hope that way to avoid sending the camera in. I have tried loading the software on two computers but once I connect the camera to the computer I just get messages that the computer is looking for the software. Very frustrating.

Like many of the previous posters, I use a card reader with the memory card. It's a habit I developed to workaround USB 1 only support on my previous digital cameras. Using a reader allowed me to transfer photos much faster via USB 2.

I've never even attempted to connect my D20 to the PC with the USB cable. My D20 may have the same problem as yours but I'll probably never find out. ;) And even if my D20 did have this USB problem, I'd probably opt not to send it for repairs just for that problem.

It's just a matter of convenience for me. I find it easier to pop open the D20's memory slot cover and insert the card into the reader than messing with the rubber USB port cover and connecting a cable to the camera.

• 2 weeks later...