OT: Internet Connection

stephen_w.

I just got a cable modem installed at home for the first new

computer I bought seven months ago (I usually use company issued

laptops, I'm a road warrior). WOW, the fastest load-ups I've ever

experienced anywhere (hotels, job, cafes). The tech. said 1.8

million BPS. Now the W/NW pic's come up bigtime fast.

Highly recommended.

You have old technology Stephen, my home town is getting wired with Fiber should be online with it by Jan/Feb from Verizon. More than willing to sell you my cable modem for cheap since the down and upload speed will be greater than 10 Mb/sec. V is also going to offer cable TV (hopefully ala cart), voice and the high speed data link for under $100 a month.

Gerry,

I have always been several generations behind when it comes to electronic technology. I haven't been in one place for more than 8-months for over 15 years (worldwide, and the company provided the equipment and service). When one goes from 56kbps to 1.8mbps is astonishing. 10mbps seems unneeded except for data at companies since my typing speed is the limiting factor.

Once we uploaded 2 gigs in less than one week on dialup; using 4 USR Couriers; grabbing 4 phonelines; with a mighty 26,400 bps connection. Our scan site then could get no DSL or cable modem. Our client had cable modem; but the uploading to the remote storage site "was too much trouble for them to do; and slow". So brute force and 4 computers was used.

The upload speed is often capped at a lower number. The hokey sdsl that later became available was capped at 128K upload speed; our 4 parallel Couriers with 4 computers would upload about 105K; and was free in cost. The quote we had on an isdn line in 1996 was 650 bucks per month; at a 64K upload speed; times have changed!

Neil's comment about the station wagon full of mag tapes is particularly interesting. It comes from a time when we used lots of reels of tape. My estimate (based on 6250 bits per inch; 10 bits per character; 2400 foot tapes; an average size station wagon from the era ) for 240 reels. [bTW, that's something like 1700 pounds of tape...a lot more than you should put in your station wagon!] At my University our routine local connection into the office is 100 Mbps (10 million bytes per second). The kids are on Christmas break now so our network is pretty fast; if I get to use half the bandwidth (5 megabytes per second) during download it will take a little over 14 minutes to download the contents of the station wagon. Of course, the mileage you get may vary.

I can remember 9 and 7 track data tapes from "CDC" in Waltham which was our preferred storage medium, along with key punch machines and card decks. God help you if you dropped the deck and those cards where not numbered. Does anybody remember when the humidity changed from Winter to Spring and you couldn't read the decks in becuase the cards had grown in thickness? Ah the good old days, when a HP Scientific calculator cost $500 and had a whopping 26 memory storage locations along with a 100 step storage. Whatever happened to HP calculators anyway?

HP-41 CV(X) is as much a classic as the Hasselblad that went into space. I remember attending the HP pavilion in Expo 85 when they mentioned that the HP is the backup navigation / trajectory device used in the Space Shuttle.