Canon 20D and Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash

digidurst

Hi all! I was trying a little experiment yesterday with my Canon 20D and my Sigma EF-500

DG Super Flash. I used the custom function setting for 2nd curtain sync but the flash kept

firing at '1st curtain sync' (for lack of a better description). Can someone tell me what I'm

doing wrong?

Thanks!!

It is quite likely that the camera and flash aren't fully communicating as you aren't using

Canon flash and Sigma may not have had a chance or been able to reverse engineer

everything with how the Canon system works, especially with a relatively new camera like

the 20D. Canon bodies can be quite touchy with how they handle second party flashes.

Hi Ellen, Ellis is quite correct that sometimes, Canon and Sigma don't quite get along. However, with the Canon 550EX I can set second curtain synch on the flash, or I can set it in the body itself. (Not all Canon bodies support it, so I guess they put the option in the flash itself) Does the Sigma also? If so, you might try that route. Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone. But I have to admit, I'm a little irritated with Canon... What's

the point of having that custom setting if the flash (Canon or other brand) doesn't respond

to it appropriately??

I'll have to check the Sigma's manual - I think it does have an option for rear curtain sync

but I'll be darned if I know how to set it for that.

The reason for the second curtain control on the camera is for EX series flash units that don't have second curtain sync controls them selves. But I believe that on flash units that have those controls, the setting on flash is the one used.

No, there is no way to set your Alien Bees for second curtain sync. Canon's second curtain sync system only works with dedicated flash units.