Junk WEmail

warrenlewis

The only way to stop spam is to change your address. Clearly the one you have now is out there and once that happens you're sunk.

There's no way to absolutely prevent your photo.net email address from leaking out since it can be obtained by any logged in member of photo.net. Also note that if you post a classified ad, it appears in the ad in a form that anyone (including bots) can see.

Many of the web based email accounts have fairly good spam blockers, so that might help a bit.

Spam is something we all have to live with I'm afraid. Just imagine how much Spam photo.net gets!

The ads currently need some sort of email contact address posted in public. You can't expect people reading the ads to join photo.net simply to get the email address of the poster or you'll lose many potential sales.

The alternative (which I think used to be the case) is that buyers would contact photo.net, and photo.net would forward the email to the seller. Obviously this requires more work, but in the long term it may be worth it.

a little formmail textbox would be a satisfactory solution, provided that you implement some manner of rate control to prevent its being used by spammers (as well as implementing a layer of abstraction for the recipient's E-mail address - e.g. translating the address into a 32-bit hash, which would be the value passed in HTML, and then translated by the server to the proper address with a lookup in the appropriate table. More than two or three attempts to mail non-existant hashes could result in an autoban.)

• 1 month later...

I think it would be great if photo.net could forward the e-mails from prospective buyers to sellers in the classified system internally without exposing any e-mail addresses.

I mentioned this five months ago, but it would be really great if the classified ad HISTORY no longer displayed the e-mail addresses of the users. I can see the argument for having a valid e-mail address displayed for a current classified ad, but isn't that reasoning moot for one that has already expired?

Honestly, 90% of my total spam comes to my photo.net specific e-mail address.