EOS Mac users!

robert_davis7

I decided to get a used 10D to compliment my EOS 1n system. From the

looks of it, I think the EOS 1n will see less and less use in the

future. Oh well. ANYWAY, I was wondering how Mac users use their

digital cameras -- do you use iPhoto to import and manage digital

files? Or do you use another program (such as Extensis Portfolio)? I

have the new iPhoto 5, which can process RAW images, but I'm wondering

how well iPhoto works over time, and if it bogs down the system.

Any advice? Thanks! -robert

iPhoto will be okay for small libraries of photos, but honestly, you should invest in a more robust program for cataloging and archiving your photographs. My work flow is:

Copy files to backup hard-drive using flash card reader.

Duplicate files, and perform processing (color correction/raw conversion) on duplicates (I use Photoshop CS, but Photoshop Elements may meet your needs).

Catolog files using iView Media Pro cataloging software.

Back up raw and processed files onto a DVD.

Delete one set of files from hard-drive, keep one set as working files.

The interface for iPhoto and it's file management just doesn't work for anyone but a casual user - which may be fine for you, but it doesn't work for me. I want to be able to specify where my files reside. iPhoto requires them the all be in the same location.

There is a little <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iphotolibrarymanager.html">program</a> for moving iPhoto libraries which stops them swelling to the point where they become unmanagable . I haven't used iPhoto in a long time but previous versions were pretty awful in how they handled files.<P>

iView is a much better program and one I have used successfully. I tried Cumulus and found it painfully slow.

2nd vote for Photo Mechanic...it's simple and just gets the job done. plus they have

excellent customer supprt.

I shoot jpg and rarely do raw conversion. When I do I guess it'll be Canon DPP now that I

have it but Canon EVU used to work fine for me.

-b

I found iPhoto about as useful as a weasel in a cardboard shirt and abandoned it very

shortly after I started using it. I now use iView Media for managing photos (about 5000 so

far), and Photoshop CS for manipulation.

I shoot mostly in jpg, then import directly into iView Media. If shooting in RAW, I open the

files in Photoshop and don't manage them until I've converted them to TIF or PSD. I've not

tried managing RAW files in iView Media. There is also a Pro version, which I've not tried

either, as the basic one is pretty good.

iPhoto was useless when I needed it. I heard the new iLife 05 includes a new version that reads raw and can tweak 'a la' photoshop.

Everybody has its own workflow but this is what I do:

1) copy pictures from flash to hd using camera firewire (when I'm lazy) or use a card reader

2) browse pictures with Photoshop CS browser

3) process with Photoshop CS

4) cataloguing with iView Media Pro. When I was looking for an organization tool, it was pretty good rated. It does all the things I was looking for in a cataloguing sw.

:)

There is no need to "import." Just drag the

image files from your mounted CF card to folders on your hard drive. I use EOS Viewer

Utility to convert RAW to TIFF. It's fast and fits my one-at-a-time style. I never need to

mass convert hundreds of images.

The older iPhoto sucked for serious use. The new iPhoto from iLife '05 is much improved:

faster, more image controls and reads Canon RAW. Since you have it, why don't you test it

out and tell us how it works over time. No one knows yet as it just came out last week...

As for everything beginning with an "i" sucking, that's not true. The iPod is a wonderful

portable audio player and iTunes is a slick and well designed app. iMovie, iDVD and iCal

are excellent for what they are, apps for everyday consumers. The iBook is an elegant and

well designed laptop at a reasonable price. Most folks don't need a complicated

powerhouse for their simple needs...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter