Light Leak....Again?!

alec

Aww, man! I had a problem with my Rollei 6008 SRC 1000 before where

I had some wierd framing on a bunch of my negatives. Here is what

it <a href="http://www.alec.com/lightleak1.jpg">looked like</a>.

Some people in this forum identified it as a light leak. I sent it

to Rollei and indeed, it was and they seemed to have fixed it.<p>

Just got some film back from a reputable lab and now I have a

slightly different kind of problem, which I'm hoping is not yet

another light leak.... <a

href="http://www.alec.com/lightleak2.jpg">Take a look.</a>. It

doesn't have the same outline as the previous one, but again this is

in the middle of a roll as well. Granted it's a bit over exposed,

but I'm worried it's a similar problem. If you were to take a <a

href="http://www.alec.com/777.jpg">close look</a> you can see 777...

which is the film's 7th frame emblazened into the photo. This is

Efke 100 film.<p>

Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help!<p>

--Alec Simonson

Looks like another leak to me. That close up image you had implies that the source is most likely behind the film. This may be, though not that likely, actually a case of the film being sloppily wound onto the spool after shooting. This is not the case though, if this is happening on more than one roll. Also if it were a post exposure problem, it would be worse at the tail end of the roll.

<p>Todd Schoenbaum

Looks like a light leak to me. But maybe you made a mistake when loading/handling the film. Shoot another test roll (in bright light) and see if you get similar results. Light leaks don't need necessarily be at the some relative place on the film or have the same shape. A lot depends on what happens when you shoot the picture, where your hands are (maybe you cover the leak on one frame), how bright it is and how fast you advance the film (how long the film stays at the light leaking place).<p>

If you want to be sure, you can shoot yet another roll of film in the same camera/back and cover the side where the alleged light leak must be with duct tape. If one test roll has these leaks and the other has not, well, it is a light leak and not a processing or handling error.

Thanks all for your contributions.... Let me add some more details: This entire roll is comprised of night shots. Granted, some of these photos were taken in bright unnatural light, but the other 14 rolls include daytime shots and have no problems.

As for the winding issue, the worst of these spots occur on frames 5-9, with frames 1-3 and 11 & 12 being barely affected.

Could such a problem occur if the exposed, sealed roll came into contact with direct sun for a prolonged period of time? I don't recall that happening, but I do wonder how those numbers got burned into the film. They're most noticeable on frames 7 & 8.

One of the things about the Rollei back is that you literally cannot remove it from the camera without the lever being all the way up, completely covering the semi-exposed film with the "dark slide". I only own one back, so really there was never any reason for me to remove it mid-roll....Strange.

I think this camera is going to find it's way back to Rollei. If there is indeed another light leak, the seller's going to have some questions to answer; I only bought it in April 2004. Granted it was used, but this is insane.

Thanks again; I'll keep checking back for some time before I figure out what to do.

It does look like a light leak to me. If you need a kit to remedy this, you can go to E-Bay, search using the "Items by Seller" option and enter my ID...Interslice. Please keep in mind on color film, light striking the back side of the film will generally leave a colored damage on the print...yellowish to reddish orange, whereas light striking the front will leave white to grayish damage. Also, remember the image is upside down as it is exposed onto the film, so a leak on the right side of the camera will show up as damage on the left side of the developed picture. Good luck.

Jon

My guess: this time I don`t think the camera is faulty. The patch of light strikes different areas of the frame.

First possibility: the spool was not wound tightly enough. Did you protect the film from stray light after taking it out of the camera, e.g. with aluminium foil?

Second possibility: the was a batch of Efke 100 120, which had a thinner backing paper than usual. Some cameras with red filtered windows (where you see the numebers of the backing through) leaked light through the thinner backing paper, this could explain the number you see on the neg. Does your back have such a window? Have you tried another film make?

Greetings, Roland.