Experts or idiots? Why we learn lighting

j_robinson2

http://www.wftv.com/news/10065272/detail.html?rss=orlc&psp=news

Mother Says Daughter's Class Picture Was Doctored

POSTED: 6:20 pm EDT October 12, 2006

UPDATED: 12:18 pm EDT October 13, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A local family is outraged by a school photo. When the

pictures came back from the studio, a seven-year-old girl?s image appeared to

have been doctored to give her cleavage.

The debate is whether the photo just has a very strange shadow or it's been

digitally altered by someone.

------------------------------------

Go and take a look at this one. Poor lighting technique and the opinion of

photo "experts" probably not smart enough to find their butt in a bathroom.

I saw this posted on another forum and the concensus (granted, from only about 4 photogs) is that it is probably poor lighting, though it does look questionable. My professional opinion on it (as both an experienced photoshopper and photographer - and some one who thinks before answering such a question ;)) is that I can't tell from the image posted online to give you a real answer. The image online is too small, too low res, and not being able to see the catchlights in her eyes to really know where the lights are just leaves to many uncertainties. Show me the high res file and then I will give you an opinion on it.

One opinion I can give though...shoot raw!! I am guessing this photographer didn't, otherwise it seems it would have been a pretty easy case to solve.

I think that it's bad lighting. If you look at the shadows on her upper chest from the jean jacket, there are likely two lights being used. It looks like they are each 45 degrees offset, overhead slightly and set at equal power. The edge of each side of the jean jacket forms a shadow inward onto her chest. The dark area is where the two shadows overlap and no fill light is able to reach.

I'd just like to point out that this wouldn't have been a concern if the parents dressed the girl in a shirt that came reasonable close up to her neck.

What stands out is the photographic company was not paying attention. They earned flack for not taking reasonable care in providing the product supplied. Children deserve more.

As for the mother and the media hype? I just don't get it. Publishing the image does not gain anything...other than attention for the news organisation.

If the debate is as you say "whether the photo just has a very strange shadow or it's been digitally altered by someone" then the debate is about the wrong issue as far as philosophy of photography is concerned.

true she shouldn't have been wearing something so low cut at that age...

but to me it looks like a lighting problem... the two shadows from the jacket converging to form a darker shadow... I've asked the photography "experts" here at work and they concur with my thoughts...

i always like how the american media finds these "experts" to back up the slant they're taking on the story