Compressed gas killing my view finder.

min_wong1

I was using compressed gas to clean my 20D viewfinder, but the

liquid came out from the gas bottle. I can see a lot of dust and

dirty things inside my viewfinder now no matter how I try to clean.

Do you think I should send it back to Canon factory to get it clean?

Will they charge additional fees even it is still under factory

warranty?

Thanks!

I don't know much about Canon U.S.A. I did visit Nikon Hong Kong last winter. The people there are so nice and they do free job for cleaning viewfinder and sensor if under warranty. The guy ask if he can pick it up his camera by next day and the representive told him please come back in 15 minutes.

My housemate demage his D70 sensor filter during cleaning. He use a gray market product and it doesn't cover by warranty. Nikon Hong Kong will provide a new sensor by $200 not include labor, but I heart that it is very expensive here in the United States to replace a sensor.

As I understand it, the view screen on the 20D, like almost all Canon SLRs, will come out quick & easy if you know what you're doing. It's only about a 10 minute job to remove and clean the viewscreen and put it back in -- if you know what you are doing.

All you have to do is, remove the lens, grab the front middle of the metal bracket holding the screen, push it back and drop it down. The screen falls out through the lens mount. To replace it, put the screen back on the metal bracket and raise it back into place until it snaps in.

The screen is very fragile, more so than the mirror, so be careful. However, Canon will gladly sell you a new one if you mess it up.

If you're not very good with mechanical things, take it to a camera shop and ask them to do it for a fee. Don't use compressed gas/air to clean the inside of any camera. As you found out, the propellant frequently comes out with the gas/air.

<i>I was using compressed gas to clean my 20D viewfinder, but the liquid came out from the gas bottle.</i><p>The most important thing is that you never do that again. Somewhere in the Instruction Manual it warns not to use canned air.<p>Since dust in the mirror/focus screen/viewfinder area has no effect on the captured image, there is no reason to tempt fate by self-cleaning.<p>If you really messed it up, bite the bullet and send it in for a professional cleaning.

Canon is very liberal. If the camera is still under warranty they will do just about anything

to make it right. Very understanding people! Send it in, with a nice note, explaining your

problem and they'll fix you up. Good Luck!