I have been asked to photograph some images at the beach-

as well as indoors.

I'll probably use tri-x and 3200 film

I don't usually shoot weddings- I do editorial/sports work-

this is for a friend of mind-

what is the correct filter to use for this-what color- I'm not

talking about soft or start etc...

thanksD

If the beach is sunny, are you sure you want to use Tri-X?

Either filter will improve contrast, the orange will darken the sky more towards black, depending on how you expose the film. Fill-flash with Tri-X on a beach will mean you need some very high shutter speeds.

Indoors, the filter effect will be less (no sunshine in the room.)

Interesting... outside of using a dark red for effect with IR film, I've never really considered using color filters when shooting B&W for weddings. As you're typically fighting high contrast scenes and low light situations, I would think contrasty filters that eat light might not always work well. I personally wouldn't use a filter all the time just for these reasons, but would certainly consider occasional shots with different filters for effect (red for strong skies, yellow/orange to smooth out skins). But YMMV, and I'll defer to the true B&W gurus in the forum.

A yellow (or medium yellow) filter with actual black-and-white film does just fine with 'people' in the image. The C-41 B&W 'stuff' may/may not do anything as the processor will correct the color as it sees fit.

...knowledge from the past when Panatomic-X was on the market.

Greetings DJ. You're actually on the right track. One reason for using TXP outdoors with the filter is to compensate for the filter factor. But to kind of take it from the top for the benefit of others too, black and white filters give the photographer greater control over the whole process. The key is understanding which filters produce which effect. The rule is generally that filters produce a lighter tone of gray than you'd normally see for the light rays of the filter's own particular color.

So, the filters used in black and white photography are usually strong colors that block wavelengths enough to produce shifts in gray areas. The most common filters for b&w are 25A Red, 11 Green, 47 Blue, 8 Yellow, and the 21 dark Orange. #11 Yellow/Green is also a good one for b&w. These are all numbers for medium shades of these filters. Lighter or darker shades will have lower and higher numbers, respectively.

Now, which do what?? As far as the orange filter goes, generally, with black and white it's good for darkening a sky and also for penetration of haze in outdoor scenes, but not so hot for people. You'll get a more normal rendering of skin tones for lighter skinned folks using a #11 yellow/green, but outdoors, you may also end up changing the contrast of foliage. For swarthy complexions in tungsten light, try a #13 green. For brightening of tungsten light in b&w, use a #8 yellow. Remember tungsten light, down between say 1000 and 3200 degrees Kelvin, is more amber and the yellow filter will make the amber light more white by filtering out the yellow. Also, a #25A red will render skin tones and red lips rather pasty looking although brings out freckles.

As far as Tri-X, if you go with a number 8 filter, outdoors, bright sunny day, I'd pull the tri-x and shoot it at 250 ISO and then take out about 1 1/2 stops for the filter. That gives you ISO 100 to work at.

Indoors, TMY is ok, but if you can avoid it, I'd do so and if at all possible, use a more medium speed film like the Tri-X at 250 ISO and again, have the lab pull it 1.5 stops and try and use fill flash. Skip the filters unless you're working close in and lighting your subjects with tungsten light. If so, the number 8 or 11 would probably be a good choice. The advice about experimentation is right-on. That way you'll be in the groove when it comes time to shoot this deal.

Take ooit light. Mark

Without knowing the time of day you'll be shooting, it's hard to say, but if it's during the day I would go with a slower speed film on the beach, say APX100 or NP100, and maybe a yellow filter. As for indoors, I'd go with the slowest speed I could get away with. Sometimes 400 speed is enough. If not, I'd push NP400 or Tri-X to 800. If I needed more speed, I'd go with either NP1600 or Delta 3200. I'd lose the filter though for the indoor shots.

thanks all- I will run some film tests - i have about 8 weeks to work on this-

good idea mark on pulling tri-x

I hadn't though of that- I should have

I use orange and red quite a bit on beachscapes[no people] and they eat about 2 stops.

this is on the east coast- afternoon light is best-late afternoon at that

I need to double check but I don't think it is white gown and tux- I think it will be much more relaxed-

tan shorts and such- so I am not sure if it will be high contrast situation? or clothing to balance

I like agfapan 100 but I feared the orange eating too much light-

but orange makes for great clouds[if it's a cloudy day]

sounds like I may need to go with yellow filter for the outdoor people pix

thanks all..

DJH

D.J. Werner

Outdoors with Fuji Neopan 400 (great film) and Ilfords XP-2, I use a deep yellow (#15) filter. It's great for bringing out some contrast in the sky and helps smoothen people's complexion. For indoor work with a flash being my main light source, I use a medium yellow (#8). And rate the film at 250 or 320. This combination gives me beautiful flesh tones.

Russ