Another Contaflex question --35mm lens?

mark f

I have a Contaflex that I really like....seems like an amazing camera

for not much money. I've had it a couple of years and just ordered a

long lens (115mm?) for it to use for portraits. I was wondering

though......how does the 35mm lens compare with other 35mm lenses of

the era? I've thought about getting one, but I'd like to hear from

some folks who have used it (it is awfully big!)

Thanks -- Mark

I only had one sample, of course, but image quality was excellent. I believe there are 2 versions-one takes 49mm size filters; the other 62mm filters, so consider that factor in your purchase. On the other hand, one drawback of the 85mm and 115mm lenses is the not very close minimum focusing distance. Otherwise, you will also enjoy the 115mm lens, also.

The 35mm lens comes in two versions. The f/4 takes 49mm filters and the f/3.2 takes the 62(?)mm filters. I have an f/4 version and it is an excellent, easy to use lens. Be aware when purchasing lenses for the Contaflex I thru IV that these lenses are extremely vulnerable to separation problems. If you can't see the lens in person before purchasing, ask pointed questions about any signs of separation before making a purchase. My 35mm lens shows bad separation but it doesn't seem to affect performance under most conditions. Quite an outstanding lens, actually.

Mark,

as I am a lover of the Zeiss Ikon Contaflexes,I tested the lenses quite a bit.

The 3,2/35 mm,which uses 60 mm -Filters is a fine piece of optics,but it likes its sunshade.

The 4/35 always gave me some vignetting on the picture edges,but is light to carry.

For the 85 and 115 mm Pro-tessars there are additional lenses,so you can get closer for portrait work. I am happy witrh that stuff too.

The 115 takes a 67mm sunshade and filters.

Good light

Where's Lynn? She has taken some very nice shots with her Contaflex. Maybe she'll chime in.

I have a Super B with the 35/3.2, 85/3.2, and 115/4.0. They are all excellent lenses. Very sharp with very natural looking contrast (my favorite print films are Fuji NPS and NPH). But use lense shades as flare can be a problem.

The biggest challenge is finder lenses without separated elements. The 85mm are most difficult, but they are worth the search.