Big Island of Hawaii, Nature and Landscape Suggestions???

villaverde, justin

I'm heading home to the Big Island on Jan 12-18. It will be my the

first time back in 8 years and since I took up photography. And I

didn't spend much time as a tourist when I lived there. The main

goal of the trip is to visit family, but I plan on 2 or 3 days of

shooting. I know the main spots I want to visit, ie. the Volcanoes

National Park, Akaka Falls, and Waipio Valley. The City of Refuge,

old town Hilo, and Rainbow Falls are other places that I've

considered. Is there any out of the way places that anyone can

suggest? I'll be on the Kona side for most of my time there. I

mainly shoot nature landscapes and panoramas, but also enjoy

architecture and some wildlife shoots.

On a side note, if there is anyone who will be there at the same

time or lives there and wants to get together for a day of shooting

feel free to email me.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

I second what Joe said. Check with the park rangers to see if the lava is flowing. If it is, hike over to it just before dusk. You can get some great shots as it get dark, and some spectacular shots after dark. Just take care on the way back to your vehicle at night. Take extra batteries for your flashlights.

harry

Way above sea level: The observatories?

About 10 meters below sea level: Ask Dale or one of the other divemasters at Eco-Adventures to take you to Turtle Pinnacle (bring a Fuji disposable underwater camera)... or perhaps on the Manta night dive. Eco-Adventures are over on the luau-garden side of the big hotel right by the pier in Kailua-Kona, and their boat(s) leave from the pier. If you're not yet a diver you could ask about a "resort course."

Have a cup of peaberry for me. Lord, that's heavenly coffee. Alas, I am now a decaf sort of guy, and there's just not a big enough peaberry crop for anyone to decaffeinate any.

Be well,

Thanks for the input so far.

Daniel, I'm asking for input on what to shoot not how to shoot it. And I'm not sure about you, but some of the best photo trips I've taken have been with one or two other photographers. I actually like conversation especailly with people that share similar interests.

Thanks for the other positive suggestions,

Justin

The top of Mauna Kea is exciting, but it is a long, bouncey, drive that is steep at the end. And a long drive home in the dark. If Kilauea (spell?) is active, strongly consider a helicopter flight over the volcano, hang the expense.

I've been out snorkeling with manta rays at night as someone described. My photos, taken with an internal flash APS p&s underwater camera are horrid, but the memories are awesome.

From Kona there is at least one operator who does a whalewatching cruise, and you're likely to see some Humpbacks in mid-January. At the least you'll surely see dolphins and small pilot whales (I believe that's the right name).

When you look to the northeast at Maui across the water, wave, because I'll be there while you are on the Big Island!<div>00ANVJ-20821984.JPG.5aff5134edd29a4010b010d8ae352955.JPG</div>

Was on the Big Island in Oct. 2003. Aside from the places you already mentioneed, My suggestions:

On the Kona Side - See the Painted Church, not far from City of Refuge.

On the Hilo Side-Kehena Black Sand Beach (south of Hilo) and Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens (north of Hilo). Many fabulous plants, flowers, water falls, birds, etc. This was one of the most exotic places I have ever seen.

Hope lava is flowing into the ocean when you visit, what an awesome sight. Here's the link for daily updates and pictures of the volcano eruption. http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.htm

For reference I liked the book "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" by Wizard Publications Inc.

Have a wonderful time!

I was there this summer, I envy you. Remember that January is in the rainy season so always have a case or backpack handy. Even in the summer clouds can come and go from nowhere. Hiking to where the volcano flows into the ocean is awesome, my favorite part of the trip. Don't forget the amount of Sulfer dioxide that is pumped into the air is incredible. Take stuff to keep your camera clean. When you're at the volcano check out Thurston's lava tube and the trail there, its pretty cool. Sea turtles are often summing on the beach at the Black Sand beach, they aren't too fast, easy models. Hope you have an incredible trip, I know I did.<div>00ANzv-20832684.jpg.a2c48900250c316243144d8a4cb16a2f.jpg</div>

Have a good time Justin... I love the big island.. been there twice.. once in January of 01 and discovered Laupahoehoe Point, north of Hilo. Went back there Oct 2003 as well with much different weather and it was just as remarkable.. of course, spending an evening with Pele while having camera in hand was a lifetime experience.. just remember that the lava is pretty brittle and when the wind blows up slope off the ocean, lava particle become airborn.. not good for camera lenses or bodies.

My biggest suggestion.. is take a macro. You'll multiply your subjects a thousand-fold.

I'm looking forward to seeing your shots here on photo.net