kevin_kelly3

I have a 2GB Compact Flash card I formatted (in camera) before going out to

shoot some sports action. The number of exposures on the camera read 396 before

starting my shoot. I returned home with the camera displaying 9 exposures left,

but when I uploaded them to the PC there were 619 photos ?? anyone run into

anything like this? I have image quality=jpeg fine, image size=medium, jpeg

compression=optimal quality

Thanks..

I see the same thing, I shot a lot of wildlife and love the D200 continuous high speed shutter to capture aniaml behavior. I find on a 1gb Lexar Pro card I can get anywhere from 200 - 350 shots on jpeg large. It always displays 169 on an emply card.

This was the same with the D100. My understanding is the processor has to do less work if your shot changes very little frame to frame. Hence the file size is smaller giving you more shots per card. As soon as I switch from wildlife to doing macro on wildflowers, then landscapes the card fills up much faster.

The camera estimates how many exposures would fit in the remaining space on the CF card. Since the size of JPEGs differ from picture to picture (check file size on your computer once downloaded), the camera takes a conservative estimate on how many large JPEGs it can fit.

Kevin, I agree with you. This is not just a conservative estimate, it is a bit crazy. My d200 estimates 112 shots on my 1 gig card at my normal setting but I regularly get over 220. I know that jpegs vary in size, but not by that much. I just treat it like a gauge, not really like an estimate, as I see it go down I just make sure to have my other card close by. Maybe the next firmware update will adjust the estimate to something more realistic. But I am not really complaining, the d200 is a great great camera.