Dropping number of photos that I have rated

ivan colman

People get dis-heartened by indiscriminate use of rating 'bots' (or get discouraged for other reasons) and simply remove their photos maybe?

It could be that people put up a batch of photos to see which ones are considered best by others and then 'weed out' the less favoured ones after a period of time. Sort of leaving the editing process to others.

Given that you have rated a prolific number of photos then it is statistically more likely that you will see some movement in these numbers than someone who has only ever rated a handful.

Some people who have requested ratings may change their mind and simply re-post the photo with no request for critique if they are unhappy with the outcome.

I have no definitive answers but maybe these could explain it a little.

About one third of the photos that are posted on photo.net are deleted eventually, most of them relatively soon after after they were posted. There are many reasons, including some that Trevor has mentioned. Also, users are occasionally banned and their photos removed by the moderators. If a photo is removed either by the photographer or by the moderators, the ratings are also deleted. So, if you stop rating, you will probably see your number of ratings erode by about one-third over time, especially if, like most people, you tend to rate recently-posted photos.

• 6 months later...
I am surprised that the most obvious reason for members deleting their photos hasn't been mentioned... lack of space!! At least for people who cannot afford or don't want to buy a membership. The amount of space offered to new members is very little compared to tons of space and bandwidth (not to mention critiques) offered by competitors (eg. flickr) for free. If you post some, delete and post some more, you can atleast get opinions (although very few) for more of your photos. I did read that in such cases at some point PN might still ask you to buy membership. Sorry if the answer digressed a little. I just saw that this is under photo.net feedback. I will make a different thread if necessary. Just wanted to bring it to notice.