Four-Gigapixel Photos Shot on 9x18" Film!!

kbreak

<I>"Lenses - Custom made. Is that better than what a tradional company who has years of experience making hight quality large format lenses could produce? Dont know."</I><P>

If you read the info at the website you'll see that it is by an appreciable factor. They considered off-the-shelf commercially available lenses and found them wanting because of the fairly hi-res film they were using. They spent something like a year on just the ultra-wide angle lens design (about the equivalent of a 65mm on a 4x5). I thought that was pretty impressive - as was the shot of the climbers stuck like flies on the upper part of El Capitan.<P>

• 1 month later...

I wish *I* had a camera like that - I could shoot pictures more aestheically pleasing

*and* get the sharpness I want.

I don't think we can underestimate sharpness, especially in landscapes - after all,

Ansel Adams did not shoot 35 mm, now did he.

Still, I think FOUR Gigapixels is overkill. I'd be satisfied with 0.5 to 1 Gigapixels. (I

already get something like 200 megapixels from my 4x5 Velvia 50 slides.)

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

If you would like see the full image of about the same resolution on the web you can take a look at a project that I just completed http://www.xrez.com/ Now I know that this is not a large format film project precisely and you are all large format film guys but if you are interested in seeing more detail in an image you will probably enjoy this. Our hero shot was taken from the diving board in Yosemite, very near the spot that Ansel Adams shot "Monolith, Face of Half Dome" we timed the shot so it was half in shadow as it was when Ansel shot it but we also captured the rest of the valley. The final resolution of the image is 3.8 gigapixels and I split the image into 100,000 256x256 jpgs and delivered it via a google maps hack. This might be a method to show large format photographs on the web as well. I hope you like it!

-Greg Downing

http://www.xrez.com/