The Brooks Institute of Photography (USA)

arctic monkey

Greetings Jason. Being in San Francisco, over the years I've had more than a few Brooks grads apply for assistant jobs with me. Reviewing their portfolios, it strikes me (and I could be wrong of course), that often, their graduates use largely a cookie cutter approach to photography because of particularized techniques that their professors / instructors seem to emphasize. Like I said, I could be wrong. While the subjects are different, the artistic approach, including the lighting, etc., appears quite similar from one student's work to another.

While you're at it, you ought to check out Pasadena College of Art and Design. A very good private school. As for life in SB, it's a combination University town mixed with a large retired population. It's quite relaxed. Photo ops there, I think become somewhat limited after you shoot a few missions, the harbor and coastline views. But then there are always day trips to L.A. (yikes) and weekends in Big Sur and Monterey. The Seattle Art Inst. is excellent and I think there's a lot more to photograph there and in the surrounding Puget Sound area.

Good luck. Mark

I appreciate your time, insight and respect your opinions. It seems as though as soon as I get enough info on one school another pops up that peaks my interest! I'm now looking into The School of Visual Arts in New York. Choosing a school is a difficult process, especially if it really matters where it's located and how much the tuition is. You seem like a pleasant person willing to help, I'd like to ask you a few more questions through email...

Be prepared to have a debt load of at least $60,000.00, more likely closer to $75,000.00, when you leave Brooks. If you cannot obtain an income after graduating that permits payments on that size of student loan, you will be in trouble. Also make sure that whatever school you choose that you THOROUGHLY investigate the program. You need to look at cost of education, graduation rates, and employment placement in the field you trained for. Many of these types of schools have extremely low graduation and placement rates. Also be aware that the parent company of Brooks, Career Education Corp., is currently under SEC investigation for fraud involving other "career" training schools that they own.

So i gradute from Brooks in october, and lets see 125,000 worth of education, cameras, food, housing, and contacts (21,000 a year or so in tuition and it is always going up). It is a great school,but it has its down falls. Santa Barbara is awesome place to live for three years, costs a lot too. If you want to work in LA then brooks is a good place to start. Brooks is not a art school, IS NOT A ART SCHOOL. Brooks is the gem of CEC ( Career Education Corp.), 10 percent of it's gross income. CEC and brooks have been cleared by the state education dept. You can get a lot out of brooks, but growing tuition and enrollment has put a kink in the education at times. Don't get me wrong, brooks will teach you how to light anything, shoot any camera and provide great contacts. email me maskew@my.brooks.edu for more information. I can give you my number if you really want to talk about it.

Your information is very helpful and I appreciate your time. I'm waiting on a catalog from Brooks but I think I've already made a decision...it's too expensive! So is the Art Institute of Seattle, in my opinion. I've decided on roughing it and taking a few classes here and there, then pursuing the career on my own. Thank you once again.

Jason,

I graduated from Brooks Institute in 1971 with a BA, and just recently retired after a career of over 30 years in the photography business. My major was Illustrative Photography. In my opinion you can save yourself a great deal of time and money by getting directly into the type of photography you are interested in via an entry level position. Pick a major city where the market for the photography you are interested in is strong. Approach businesses doing this type of photography and ask for any entry level or assistant work available (part time, piecemeal, whatever). You probably will not get a full time job so you will have to work for many businesses on an assignment basis. This is good because you will learn more by being exposed to the techniques and business styles of many different photographers. Every major city has a click or sub culture of "assistants", like you want to be. Find out where they hang out (clubs, cafes, etc) and join them. This circle of friends will become a wealth of information. Make yourself a business card and post it in the major photographic supply stores. There is usually a bulletin board for this.

Be prepared for rejection, but do not give up. Return to those places you really want to work and reapply, but not so often as to make a nuisance of yourself. If you carry a portfolio, keep changing it so you have something different to show when you do return. When you do get a job, be humble. Much of what you will be required to do will involve schlepping gear and cleaning. However, I can guarantee you that after two years of this you will know more about this business than just about anyone graduating from any school in the country, including Brooks.

Most Brooks graduates have to go through the above, as I did, anyway. Only those students who came from wealthy families or came from families who were already in the business did not have to start from the ground up.

If you know nothing about photography right now, then go to a community college to learn the basics and then do as I suggest above. A few business courses wouldn't hurt either.

About the only thing I learned from Brooks Institute that almost no one else in the business seemed to know was how to use a view camera. And boy did I learn how to use one. All you older Brooks graduates know what I am talking about. Today, I do not know how beneficial this knowledge would be (view camera technique) except in the very narrow high end market of Illustrative Photography.

Finally, you may have a romantic view of the business of photography. In reality, photography is a very tough business. By assisting for a year or so, you will know weather this is really something you want to dedicate your life to, without having spent all that money and time at a school like Brooks Institute.

Good luck, Jason

Bob Hooper,

Jason, I'm a student at Brooks and I'm from Seattle. Check-out the Photo program at

Seattle Central Community College. Its one of the best and its definitely cheaper and more

respected than the Art Institute. Many great photographers I know who work in Seattle at

Amazon.com, Getty Images, REI, Eddie Bauer, all went to SCCC. Just check it out if you

want to stay inexpensive and in Seattle. But one note... SoCal is a pretty nice change!! I'll

be in Seattle next week if you want to meet for coffee and talk about Brooks. So far its

expensive but worth it for me. peace. Andrew andrewstiles@yahoo.com

• 4 years later...
<p>Let's not put down Brooks Institute of Photography. No place in the work, can guarantee a job. They have a proven method of education, of technical training. The individual within the person is what makes the difference, as in all arenas of life. The days of going to school, specifically to get an education, specifically to get a job are a dream. The individual efforts are communication skills are what will distinguish one photographer, or one writer, or one car mechanic from the next. </p>