Biz travel to Mumbai - D70 or Film or neither?

ken davis

I'm going to be going on business travel to Mumbai, India, in a week

and will be there for 9 days. I'll have a couple of days for

hanging out and sightseeing. I'm wondering if it's ok (safe,

secure,etc) to take a camera, and if any one has gone, would they

recommend a digital point and shoot, a digital slr, or a film

camera?

Thanks!

Ken

The bigger question is, is it worth not to take your camera? No matter where you go, your stuff is in danger of being stolen.

For me, the reason I bought a camera was to take pictures, not to sit at home, specially when I am travelling.

Have fun on your trip!

Nick

Generally Mumbai (Bombay) is safe as long as you keep everything close and don't have your equipment draped all over you. Daytime at "Gateway to India" (Apollo Bundar) is safe and is a good source of "people pics". A trip across the bay to Elephanta is worth it, though not as interesting as Ajanta or Ellora.

I photographed all over India and was never intimidated by any situation.

A couple of years ago, I lived in Mumbai for over a year while working on a project there.

Safety-wise - not really a problem (unless you walk down dark alleys, late at night, conspicuously carrying lots of camera gear in the open). In the day-time, dont worry.

As for what camera to use - that's up to you, innit? You can get most films - including pro slide emulsions - fairly readily in the Fort area, and at pretty good prices. So availability of film isnt an issue. So what camera you take depends on your shooting style and preferred subjects.

I lived in Bombay for 2 years. It is much safer than say NYC or LA or even SF. D70 should be fine unless you try going to the slums of Dharavi.

<p>Indians are very friendly people and most young people speak good or acceptable English and dont mind their photos taken.

<p>Dont miss the Victoria Terminal (railway station); the gateway to india, the elephanta caves via a boat ride.

<p>DO NOT carry the camera if use the local train, better to use the Air-conditioned buses or taxis in Bombay. But if you happen to travel to New Delhi, be more cautious...

<p>Digital SLR is fine, think of storage, portable Hard drive with CF slot etc, most films are available in Bombay though.

First of all, wow...thanks for all the feedback. Secondly, I didn't want to give the impression I was afraid of taking my camera to Mumbai, as I know several people from there and I know it's a very friendly, safe place. Mostly I was concerned with availability of film (which I prefer) or if the digital would be safe (humidity, dust, etc) so forgive me for giving the wrong impression. I don't have a lot of time there, so your advice on places to see is very helpful. Looks like the D70 gets to go, the F100 stays home. Thanks!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I was working in Ahmedabad for a week, my girlfriend only speaks Portuguese, she went all over the city while I was working with a bag full of lenses and a C645. In a rich shaw...

Everyone was really cool with her, the State of Gujarat is "dry", pretty mellow. She was welcomed everywhere. I missed Ellora, really bummed about that, 2 trips to Mumbai and have only seen Elephanta.

Hi gang,

Well after all your help and the decision to take the D70 I wound up having little to no time at all for touring Mumbai, much less for pictures. I saw the airport and the new Grand Hyatt hotel and some visits to a close by area for dinner, but all of this was late at night. The people were friendly and welcoming and it's a shame I did not get to spend more time with them. Perhaps some day I'll have the chance to enjoy this incredible city without 18 hour work days.

Happy holidays and thanks to all for you input,

Ken