MP...M8

eric_hurtado

Thanks, Eric - been wanting to track down a pair of comparable images to do that myself

(but too busy).

I did pick up my M4-P the other day and note that there was a LOT of left-over space

between my thumb and finger where the round end fits in. I expect one day shooting with the

M8 and I'll be used to the slightly chunkier feel.

Bart F wrote:

>1/8000th to 4seconds shutter?

Yes, just imagine how useful that will be when you are shooting in bright light and can use f/1.4 (or f/1.0) lenses at full aperture!

I would *love* that 1/8000 sec shutter on a film M. I'm stalling on buying an M8 because I want to read reviews before buying.

" ...anybody else find the 250th flash sync kind of great, too?"

Absolutely !

Much needed for fill flash when working outdoors in contrasty directional lighting. Never

needed it indoors at wedding receptions because of dragging the shutter anyway.

What I hope for is a small flash similar to the SF20 with a freaking tilt head that's also long

overdue ... with a High Speed Sync ability.

What is very interesting is that the new 1/8000th shutter has been designed using

materials that dampen noise ... resulting in levels barely above that of the current cloth

shutter. In other words the M remains whisper quiet.

Man, if the M8 works as well as the film M, and the sensor is worth a damn, this camera is

going to kick butt. It won't just be the glass-case crowd buying this one. And in

addition, if Leica can join Canon in the low-noise/high iso sensor club, then they'll be

able, for the first time in decades, to sell a camera on its technical merits.

I'll say it again: If the Canon's 1-series DSLR bodies are worth $5k, then so is the M8. As

to whether or not the very notion of a $5,000 camera is ridiculous, that's an entirely

different question.

No way I can afford this camera as a part-timer, but if Leica built a film body using the

same shutter, I'd be all over it.

"Man, if the M8 works as well as the film M, and the sensor is worth a damn, this camera is going to kick butt. It won't just be the glass-case crowd buying this one."

With 6,000 (or 9,000 depending on your source) already pre-sold, it would appear that many people are confident the M8 will deliver, myself included. But if not, there's always a space in the glass case :-)

"And in addition, if Leica can join Canon in the low-noise/high iso sensor club, then they'll be able, for the first time in decades, to sell a camera on its technical merits."

So you're saying the DMR doesn't sell on its technical merits because its high ISO performance lags behind Canon? I think there are some who would take issue with that.