scratches on my scala

As a beginner photographer,I recently decided to experiment with agfa

scala a little over a month ago. I used the agfa certified mailer

service in miami florida and when I got the slides back about half of

them had two prominent scratches runing horizontal across the frame.

Since I never had any problem like this with my color slides. I

suggested it might be this lab (Color Reflections). Nevertheless I

thoroughly inspected and blew out the film compartment in my

camera. When I used my second role of scala and got it back

yesterday from the same lab the slides had the same type of

scratches, this time on the entire role. Since I've never gotten

slides back scratched using fuji or kodak mailers, I'm suspicious.

What gives? Has anyone else had quality control problems with this

florida lab or am I just the lucky one whose camera film compartment

only collects debris before shooting scala film. Are there any other

scala mailers out their besides these ones that go to Color

Reflections in Miami?

Why you people want slides mounted anyways has always baffled me when all it does is make it harder to scan and take more space.<p><i>Mounted film is easier to handle</i><P>Gee, then why don't we mount our color negs and B/W?<P>DRWOOD is incorrect about his claims of dip -n- dunk not scratching film. 36 exposure 35mm can be scratched in a dip -n- dunk when it's pulled over the rack since many dip -n- dunk processors require 220 and 36exp 35mm to be bent in half to process because they lack tank depth. I had to fire a film tech once becase he couldn't do this without trashing film. Slide mounters and sleevers are another notorious film killers. Don't get the film mounted, and see what happens. The again if you aren't mounted Scala I have no idea why you are using it vs shooting Kodak E100G and simply desaturating after scanning.

Gee, Scott-had you ever considered that he may just possibly not want to scan it? Hard as it may be to believe, there are still people out there who prefer to make traditional silver prints from thier slides, or want to project them. Irrational as it may sound to you, some people may do things the way they do and not the way you do because they prefer it. Chew on that for a while.

As to Daniel's post...

I still say you should call them, and in the meantime use another lab. There are three in the US. Give one of the others a try-you may have slower turn-around, but the improved quality should be worth it.

My two cents anyways.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your responses. I considered possibly using Duggals in New York as well but apparently from what I gather they just send it to Color Reflections in Florida and tack on a few bucks. So maybe that explains why Sabrina had similar problems as I did. As to mounts, I obviously prefer to have them mounted for projection use. Besides I dont yet have a scanner that will give acceptable image results anyway.

ahhhhhhh, dont remind me

I just sent in some scala and color slides over the weekend to Duggals. I haven't gotten

them back yet. But I wont be surprised. We're talking deep cuts here, not just scratches.

The last time it looked like someone ran a razor blade through them. What can you do..

Just to add -- I still shoot Scala occasionally, and have never had any problems at Main Photo. Nothing against the other labs -- Main Photo is just convenient for me since I live in SoCal, and can personally drop off my Scala rolls rather than use mailers.

Once again thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll give Dr5 or Main a try. Since I still have 2 of the CR mailers left maybe Ill request to have it unmounted and see what happens since their mounting process seems to be the culprit. Never tried mounting slides myself but cant hurt to learn.

"Why you people want slides mounted anyways has always baffled me when all it does is make it harder to scan and take more space."

Some of us like to put them in machines called slide projectors. These machines have lightbulbs which shoot a beam of light through the positive image and a lens to project a big picture onto a wall or screen. These machines come with trays or carosels or other holders that require a mount on the positive to work correctly and to keep the positive from being crumpled up and torn to shreds when moved about within the machine.