Any 3rd party bar coding service on the horizon?

Jochen_S

I'm just curious. My 90mm is too old and the 15 and 35mm are 3rd party. Will

there be somebody offering some reasonable and moderate priced barcoding for

such lenses to be used on the M8 or what might be the workaround? - Is the

coding system capable of including that glass at all?

My guess would be that there certainly is no rocket science required for the coding, so it should be possible to code 3rd party lenses or adapters for ancient screwmounts.

If leica keeps this a secret then it would be necessary to share the codes of the different lenses, so that someone can figure the system out.. Huw perhaps ;-)

Michael, I'd agree with you, if M8s were sold like Polaroids. OTOH I'd like it if a poor shooter gets a chance to have fun, until he can afford the new Leica glass which will sell itself anyhow due to it's quality.

I doubt Leica to be keen to make most of their money as a silkscreenprintshop, I always believed they'd like to sell gear.

The correction is more than just focal length, it's based on the rear nodal point. So unless the lens you're using is the same as some Leica lens in that respect, there's no "correct" bar coding.

Also, the lens compensation is only applied in the RAW->JPEG transform, so if you make the relatively wise decision to shoot RAW, it's fairly moot.